64-bit compatible PC installed 32-bit version from burned 64-bit DVD, with simple free install notes

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I just noticed, when I went to install a program, that my 64-bit compatible PC is running Win 10 32-bit. Here's the relevant info.

This is an old PC with only 2GB of memory (which I plan to upgrade later unless it disables the OEM - see note below). I had Win 7 32-bit Professional OEM running on it and using the installation info out there, this is the procedure I followed to create a clean install of the free version of Win 10:

- updated Win 7 32-bit Professional to Win 7 64-bit Professional successfully (confirmed in settings)
- using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool * used Update This PC to install Win 10 Pro 64-bit
- using the Belarc Advisor Personal PC Audit tool, obtained the Win 10 license key from the updated installation **
- using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool downloaded Win 10 Pro 64-bit ISO (had it been 32-bit it would not have downloaded the 64-bit version)
- burned the downloaded ISO to DVD, and did a clean install of Win 10 from the 64-bit DVD using the new Win 10 key

Now in Settings it say that the version is 32-bit, 64-bit compatible. How did this happen and how can I change it to 64-bit? I don't mind re-doing the clean install if I have to. Note that this is a free update not a purchased copy.

In an unrelated cautionary note to others, I tried changing the DVD drive to a DVD burner, and true to the documentation, the OEM version would not run because I had changed that one piece of hardware. However, the way Micrsosoft indicates this is right at the DOS level with the no bootable media message, which sure as heck looks like hard drive failure! Very sinister way to inform you that your OEM license is not valid. As soon as I replaced the original DVD drive it booted up again. Nice.

Thanks
Charles

* FYI there is no need to wait for the Win 10 Update icon to appear in the task bar of Win 7. In fact, Microsoft's Media Creation Tool page states that this is the preferred way to install a Win 10 update.

** Despite what various sites say about the free Win 10 key not being unique, it appears to me to be - unless they are uniqe to Home and Pro. I have used this same procedure on two computers. One had Win 7 Professional and the other one Win 7 Home. The Win 10 key that was found by Belarc was unique for each installation and they both worked when I did a clean install. The win 7 Home edition was also 32-bit and was not an OEM, and using the same method successfully installed Win 10 Home 64-bit

Solution
I've swapped DVD-RW drives around on a laptop before. Got rid of a Matsushida for a real drive, and changed RAM and a SSD for Hard Drive. Done parts upgrade for others on Laptops as well. None of these things ever had any impact on an OEM License. I've even installed Windows 7 to a 32GB Thumb Drive. Even that doesn't break OEM Licensing. Truly, the only tie is the motherboard on a laptop with regards to OEM. Your 'no bootable media' message was not even at the DOS level cuz you hadn't gotten that far. Your BIOS was simply a little confused on the boot order and entering Setup was probably all you had to do really.

As for your Windows 10 Key, yes, Home and Pro will have a different key if you go searching for it as you did... but you...
"- using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool downloaded Win 10 Pro 64-bit ISO (had it been 32-bit it would not have downloaded the 64-bit version)"

That part I think you confused is the Microsoft Media Creation Tool 32bit vs 64 bit. The download of tool itself has to be 32bit on a 32bit OS but it allows you to download 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows 10 with either bit level of the tool. I suspect you downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 10.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I've swapped DVD-RW drives around on a laptop before. Got rid of a Matsushida for a real drive, and changed RAM and a SSD for Hard Drive. Done parts upgrade for others on Laptops as well. None of these things ever had any impact on an OEM License. I've even installed Windows 7 to a 32GB Thumb Drive. Even that doesn't break OEM Licensing. Truly, the only tie is the motherboard on a laptop with regards to OEM. Your 'no bootable media' message was not even at the DOS level cuz you hadn't gotten that far. Your BIOS was simply a little confused on the boot order and entering Setup was probably all you had to do really.

As for your Windows 10 Key, yes, Home and Pro will have a different key if you go searching for it as you did... but you can toss that information out cuz what happens during the upgrade process makes it irrelevant. I'll explain. I've done over half a dozen upgrades so far and only looked at the key on the first four cuz they were all the same. My Laptop (Win7Home OEM), HTPC (Win7Home from Upgrade 3-Pack), Mom's Desktop (Second from Mentioned 3-Pack), Mom's Asus 2in1 Laptop (Win8.1Home OEM), and more after that but post upgrade every tool I found showed me the same Win10 Key after upgrade ending 8HVX7. After reading I drew the same conclusion everyone else has come to; During the upgrade your Motherboard serial is sent to Microsoft and stowed away in their Activation servers so if you ever need to do a fresh install, you only need to Install 10 and activate. Don't worry about the key. If you google the last five characters in your Windows 10 Key (Pro or Home) you'll see many have the same key as you. It's your motherboard's serial that matters and that is what your activation is truly based on.

Solution

'- burned the downloaded ISO to DVD, and did a clean install of Win 10 from the 64-bit DVD using the new Win 10 key'

That is not correct since he didn't upgrade. He can do whatever since he did a clean install ^

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for your answers. I'll retry installing the DVD burner and check the BIOS boot order.

BTW the PC in question is an old tower, not a laptop, although I don't think that makes any difference.

I'm quite sure I downloaded the 64-bit ISO version. Is there any way I can check which version is on the DVD to double check if I downloaded the wrong one?

After doing more research I'm wondering if this article contains the root of my problem:
http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

I checked the CPU settings using CPU-Z and on this PC they are, MMX, SSE (1,2,3), EM64T - there is no "VT-x" listed. According to the answers you've given, if only the motherboard itself determines the OEM I should be able to try enabling the NX setting in the BIOS without it affecting the OEM. Similaraly, if I buy new RAM it should not affect the OEM either, correct?

I understand that the keys are not unique, however, if I have this correct, the reason for entering the key during installation is that once it is done you have instant activation and you don't have to wait for a Microsoft server connection. Both my installations were immediately activated - unless I'm wrong and the process was just very fast.

You may be able to open a file explorer and look at the contents of the DVD files to see if there is any clue in the file names as to whether it is 64 bit version. I personally would re-download the file just to be sure.

Installing new RAM should not affect the OEM. It is my understanding that Windows looks at the Motherboard to determine whether the computer has been changed.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I fixed the DVD burner problem - the jumper was on the Master setting - once I moved it I was able to swap DVD drives. As for the 32-bit system I've decided to leave it for now. I still think I downloaded the 64-bit version but I'm afraid this PC hasn't enough RAM and a good enough motherboard to run 64-bit OS without it being too slow.

Thanks for your help.