Looking to update my system for PC Gaming

Taniki

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
So I am reaching out to people abit more knowledgeable than me in the matters of upgrading today. I was an avid gamer and bought a new system two years ago that I put together myself however sadly in the last year my gaming hit rock bottom due to work.

Now I am able to find more time to play I am looking at upgrading to embrace what I can only hope is gaming heaven in the forms of Fallout 4, Mass Effect 4 and whatever Bethesda or Bioware throw at us next. Currently I play Civilisation, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Sins of a Solar Empire which after awhile become abit sluggish or decide I've given up on humanity in the form of League of Legends or World of Tanks. So mostly looking at RPGs and Strategy games.

This is my current build:

* Intel i7-4820K 3.70GHz (Ivybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor
* HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
* Avexir MPower Yellow Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Quad Channel Memory
* Gigabyte GA- X79-UD3 motherboard
* Venom cooler
* Corsair TX850M power supply
* Kingston 120 SSD
* WD Cavalier Green 2TB HD

I do have a Benq GL-2460-B monitor, razor mouse and mad catz v7 keyboard.

Now, please can someone tell me A) Do I need to upgrade? B) If so, should I go full system or just individual upgrades?

Thank you all.

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

A) depends on what you want, the 7950 will be able to run upcoming games just fine
B) if you are going to upgrade, just a gpu upgrade is enough, the rest of your system is fine :) maybe oc a bit, to 4,0 - 4,2 ghz, you may need a better cpu cooler for that, idk the "venom cooler"

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

if you are still comfortable with this gpu i would advice to keep it untill arctic islands and pascal arrive, they will be a big improvement over the current gpu's

if you want to upgrade now then go with the 390, 390x or fury (non x)
yes i know i didn't list nvidia, amd crushes nvidia in dx12 with quite a big margin.

You don't need to upgrade right now.
If you still want to upgrade, a GPU is all you need.
Like a gtx 980ti.
But you don't need to.

But you may want to get a better HDD, the WD greens aren't meant for gaming or programs, just file storage, and they are slow enough to actually effect game performance.