Trouble installing Win 10 on SSD due to SSD partition created by default by samsung magician software

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi guys I am having a really bad day as I have had a full day off work to install a fresh Win 10. I am literally running on borrowed time now and would like to get this done today/this eve.

I have a USB stick ready with the media creation tool on it and it is all setup. However due to a partition on my SSD I cant install Win 10.

My Question is, if I wipe the SSD completely using, for example, samsung magician secure erase, and as long as I have the motherboard drivers will I be able to install windows 10? I guess I would somehow have to install the LAN/network adapter drivers so the info on the USB can connect with microsofts site and authenticate my Win 10 install?? (yes it is already activated as I upgraded a few weeks ago).

Hope you can help :(

Many thanks indeed in advance!

Solution

Yeah thats part of the UEFI BIOS, Which is why on that line it mentions P1 and the SSD, and then P1 is on the SSD line. Its saying the Windows Boot Manager is set to the SSD.

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Thank you Rogue leader! ! other thing that bothers me is that i keep reading about disabling legacy in BIOS and something about FEI? settings in BIOS

Just want t omake sure as this is the only PC (device) that I own connected to internet and do not know anyone (physically) who can help if something should go 'pear shaped'!

I have an Asus z97-a if this info is of any use

thnaks again!!!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
UEFI secure BIOS is what you are thinking of, which your board has (the graphical BIOS interface). Yes I would disable legacy in there, unless you are using some sort of old hardware and you need it for compatibility reasons, it should be disabled.

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi again Rogue leader! Thank you so much for swift reply.

I posted about this in a different thread but gave up as I dont think people understood what I was asking? Anyway the reply has confused me as I may need a third party program to delete the over provisioning partition?? I am confused, perhaps if you have time you could read it and let me know what you think! I would appreciate that.

thread is here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2821878/fresh-win-install-ssd-840-evo-250gb-windows-installed-drive-partition-selected-disc-mbr-partition.html#16749622

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
What I would do is first disconnect your file storage drive to be safe.

Next during windows installation at the beginning it should have a drive tools selection ask you about creating or deleting partitions for installation. Delete all partitions from your SSD and create a new GPT partition.

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hello Rogue

Well i managed to install Win 10 using the delete partion method that you mentioned. Thank you.

However now I appear to have a couple of issues. How can I post a screenshot of this?

My SSD in samsung magician now has some weird extra partitions (?). 0.44GB recovery partition; 0.10GB unsupported and 0.02 GB unsupported. 209.GB NTFS and OP (over provisioning) 23.29

I understand what the OP section is becaus I set it myself at 10% (recommended) but I have no idea what the other sections are? Could this be some issue with Win10? It was not there after 'upgrade' but clearly is now after fresh install. Additionally it appears that secure erase no longer works in magician.

The other issue I have is that I have 2 entried for my SSD in the BIOS under boot sequence. As follows.

Windows Boot Manager (p1 samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)

P1 samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (238475)

P4 ATAPI iHAS 124 W

As recommended on other threads I disconnected my 2TB HDD storage drive before installing windows. P4 ATAPI iHAS 124 W is my DVD optical drive. However my 2TB HDD does not appear in boot sequence (not an issue for me as I can still use it in windows for storage of pics and movies). I thought it might be worth mentioning though.

So why 2 entires of the SSD in BIOS?

And, why these extra partitions in samsung magician?

Hope you can help. Many thanks!!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
To be honest I've never installed Windows 10 fresh so I am not sure what caused those additional partitions, and I'm not really familiar with Samsung Magician either. That feature may have something to do with the UEFI BIOS.

Based on what you wrote I think your other issue isn't one at all, Windows Boot manager setting is directing it to P1 which is the SSD.

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi Rogue. There was only ever one entry for my SSD before.

What i wrote is how they actually appear in boot sequence. To the letter.

Windows Boot Manager (p1 samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)

P1 samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (238475)

P4 ATAPI iHAS 124 W

3 entries.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah thats part of the UEFI BIOS, Which is why on that line it mentions P1 and the SSD, and then P1 is on the SSD line. Its saying the Windows Boot Manager is set to the SSD.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

WIndows 8.1 supported UEFI, but it depended how you installed the hard drive and Windows as to whether it worked or not.