DP, HDMI or DVI-D for best results?

secretumpiratica

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Hello. I have a AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB, and I will be getting the Acer G257HU SMIDPX 25" (1440p) soon.

The monitor has three video inputs (HDMI, DP & DVI-D). I am looking for what will be the best quality, frame rate, refresh, ect. I am pretty sure DVI is not the best because it is analog, verses the other two that are digital.

So, should I run DP or HDMI for best gaming results overall? Please don't say things like "use what ever cable is cheaper". I own all those cables. Please give a detailed answer why one is better than the other. Thank you!

Solution
DVI is digital as well.

While DVI can carry analog signals it is not used for that on modern devices. DVI-I -> VGA is about the only time you have analog on modern computers.

DVI has to be dual link to get your resolution,. Single link has a limit of 1920 x 1200.

HDMI is based on DVI(Digital video[single link] with added audio. Features like network and audio return and so on came later.). To compensate for having only a single link, they use a higher clock rate(the first revision was designed for 1920 x 1080 at 60hz so no higher clock speed was needed, but now with 4k and 1920 x 1080 120[3d] video they use the higher clock speeds) to allow higher resolutions.

Both devices have to support his higher clock rate for things to work...
DVI is digital as well.

While DVI can carry analog signals it is not used for that on modern devices. DVI-I -> VGA is about the only time you have analog on modern computers.

DVI has to be dual link to get your resolution,. Single link has a limit of 1920 x 1200.

HDMI is based on DVI(Digital video[single link] with added audio. Features like network and audio return and so on came later.). To compensate for having only a single link, they use a higher clock rate(the first revision was designed for 1920 x 1080 at 60hz so no higher clock speed was needed, but now with 4k and 1920 x 1080 120[3d] video they use the higher clock speeds) to allow higher resolutions.

Both devices have to support his higher clock rate for things to work right. I know the BenQ BL3200PT supports 2560 x 1440 over HDMI without any issues on modern video cards.

Display port is just another digital video connection that does not have a license fee. Currently the cables tend to cost more because they are not as widely used.

At your current resolution all 3 connections should look the same as they are all digital.

Solution
All three of the sources are digital.

Here is a basic run down

@1080p and 60hz/60fps - all of them are pretty much equal
@1440p or 4k at 60hz/60fps - HDMI 2.0, dvi and display port are all sufficient
For 144hz refresh rate - dvi is the only option at any resolution