PDF file downloaded with no extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Forgive me is this is the wrong forum to be posting this in. If it is, please let me know and I will delete the topic.

I was recently e-mailed a PDF file from a friend and when I went to download it, it showed up like this. http://imgur.com/klo3x5P

When I tried to open it, it asked me what program I would like to use. I was able to open it up with adobe reader and I was able to view it in the e-mail that it was received in. However, when I tried attaching the file to an e-mail for a different recipient, I could no longer view it in the e-mail and it still downloaded the same way in the imgur link.

The only way I was able to fix this was I saved the pdf from the original e-mail to my google drive, then I downloaded it to my computer from my google drive, and it actually showed up as a pdf file.

My question is, why was I able to view it through the gmail pdf reader when I first received it, but when I downloaded it, it showed up with no extension?

Solution
for that file you could simply add the .pdf extension and viola it's a pdf again.
Some people strip the file extension from files they upload, IDK why.
Google drive might recognize the file from its contents even without the extension. If you opened the file without an extension in Adobe, then you could do something similar by clicking save as, granted doing what R_1 said is faster and easier. You right click on the file, click rename, and add .pdf to the end of the file name.

Status
Not open for further replies.