Fix a computer. People ask me: Did you study Computer Engineering degree? Why???

principiantehardware

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hello. I fix sometimes PCs to get experience, I made a course related to computers in 1 year and 3 months. In the course I saw a little about: computer concepts, networks, web pages, recognize pieces of motherboard (HDD, RAM, CPU, etc), programming, format PC, backups.

I don't understand when most people give me a PC or laptop to fix and ask me: "Ehhh but Did you study Computer Engineering degree?" and I answer: "No, I made a course relate to computers: I know about: format PC, backups, check some hardware problems, check some software problemas" and they say to me (with distrust in their faces): "Ahhh ok, here you have. Please be careful don't broke my computer." In that moment I feel more pressure to be more more carefully.

In my opinion I'm not according about the thoughts of distrust of these people because I think that in Computer Engineering degree you do not see these things, it's more understand how data works internally, you will see more mathematics, programming instead of How to fix a computer. I think that the best way to improve fix computer knowledge is with practice, in forums (like this for example), reading books related to fix computer.

What do you think about that? Are you according with these people or not?

Computer engineering will go into more depth than anything seen here on Tomshardware. This stuff is easy peesy, computer engineering doesn't get into stuff like "this is an I5 processor. It has 4 cores" - no, you learn everything about that processor. Same with case fans. You learn everything about the case fan, and the power supply, and also non desktop PC stuff, such as computer parts used in microwaves and toasters.

Fixing PCs, while a technical computer engineer probably would have more knowledge, usually only requires general knowledge and not knowing how all the insides of the insides work.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I usually respond that I've been building computers for money since I was 8. Of course I don't do that any more, but it was a great way to make several hundred dollars per year when I was young. How I got my Voodoo2 12 Meg.

You could respond by saying that Computer Engineers make $100k+/year and are rarely found repairing computers, but working for Intel or AMD and designing
computers.