My Gaming+ PC build, please rate!

Andrejs_PNTG

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
I probably should've posted this before the parts were ordered, but what's done is done. The PC will be used for gaming, but I also plan doing some video editing and learning 3D modeling with software like DazStudio 3D.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K, 3.3 Ghz, 6-core, 15MB Cache
CPU Cooling: Dynatron Mars T1
Motherboard: MSI X99S GAMING 7
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G 4GB GDDR5
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB DDR4 Kit (4x4) 2666MHz CL13 Dimm XMP Black
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 PRO Series 1TB
Power Supply: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750 Watt
Case: Fractal Design Define R4

I've planned this rig with future improvements in mind: 32 GB of RAM (for video and 3D editing,modeling should I ever need it), a second GTX 970 card (for 2K or maybe 4K gaming). I probably should've bought a 850 watt PSU, but if I wont be doing any insane overclocking, I should be just fine. No HDDs will ever be used, I will use NAS in my basement for the big storage. What do you think? How future-proof is my rig?

RababNoor

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

* If you consider future proof with Processing power, then that CPU is damn good. i7-5820K will give you much help in video editing and 3D modeling.
* $25 cpu cooler for $400 overclocking CPU!!!!! It doesn't make sense at all.
* 5820K & GTX 970, 750W is more than Enough.
* GTX 970 is really good at 1080p Gaming. though not very much for 2K gaming.
Overall your built is Good. Just change that Cooler.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
There is no such thing as future proof in the PC industry. There is a lifespan expectancy however referring to how well and effectively your PC will match your expectations for performance and stability. It should last you a few years yet, however on the note of RAM it is extraordinarily unlikely video or 3-D modeling/editing will ever call for a need of more RAM for years to come, perhaps in a decade or so, but long past this PC's usefulness.

In terms of SLI you will more than likely get the same or better performance with Nvidia's Pascal GPU's coming next year with a single card rather than dual 970's. That said the low power usage of the GPU's will be offset somewhat by the high powered CPU, so I cannot recommend going dual 970's on that power supply regardless of overclocking levels. The 12v rail on the Dark Power Pro 11 while a solid performer, is not likely to withstand the draw of an overclocked 2011 CPU and two high end GPU's.

Andrejs_PNTG

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

Those Pascal beasts will surely cost a real fortune right when they come out. Meanwhile, the 970s prices will drop. All the PSU calculators suggested even 650W PSUs with dual 970s ticked, so I chose 750W just to be sure. The problems start only when you try to overclock, the power consumption grows rapidly per Mhz gained. Perhaps I could go overclocking while I still have just one GPU card, but when I get the second one, I should stop doing that.

No future proofing? So upgrades are all lies? I guess I have been lucky in the past then. I am currently (last days) using a 9 year old Core 2 Duo PC. The only upgrades have been GPU and HDD replacement. Replacing the HDD to SSD gave my PC a "new life" and extended it for another 3 years.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
The Pascal cards will be tiered in price similar to all previous releases, so the cost of another 970 at that point will only be about 10% lower than they are now. But the main issues still hold true for SLI. Scaling is not perfect and while your system may be built to reduce scaling impact it's not perfect. And while it's true that you would only need a 650 with dual GPU's and stock clocked CPU, the 12v rail is the primary concern and whether it can support the 3 of them.

Hard drives and SSD's were a major exeption to the rules of complience/generational computers. The primary reason is how long the SATA connection standard stuck around. Namely due to HDD's never expecting to get faster than the SATA connection would allow. So when manufacturers finally got SSD's down to an affordable price and wanted to sell it, they had to use the primary existing tech, SATA. Now however, they have grown in popularity due to the speed, and price to capacity ratio is constantly shifting in our favor, so the technology is changing and new connection types are becoming the standard for primary drives.

Modern memory types are commonly the end of a PC's era, DDR2 - DDR3 - DDR4 are instigating massive changes to motherboard architecture, though this change is small most DDR 3 systems will be obsolete due to improved utilization of API's requiring the faster memory types available to operate effectively. With games needing more and faster memory HBC/HBM is being integrated onto the GPU it's self to reduce latency and improve bandwidth for higher resolutions on both the display and within the textures themselves to render faster.
How long you PC 'lasts' depends on if the hardware actually survives, and how long to you feel it does not work as well as it should. CPU sockets change consistently, RAM is in general not backwards compatible (DDR3/4 is an exception, but not yet available on boards yet), GPU's are far to unpredictable to determine but usually last 3-5 years before they fall under the scope of retirement.