144hz Gaming Monitor That Works With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5

entercountive

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
The monitor I'm looking at currently is: Iiyama GE2488HS-B1 would my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 work at 144hz with the monitor?

Solution
it will work and definitely get it. I have LG 24gm77,have dell ips and lg ips at the sides. I can see the difference from 60hz even if you dont reach 100fps. First is you will remove vsync since there is no visual tearing even on the fps like farcry 4 in 60hz you move the mouse too much the screen will split on a 60hz. I think you need an very speedy eyes to notice tearing on non-gsync 144hz monitor unlike 60hz it is tearing too much when you are exceeding 60fps and even below 60fps but 120hz and 144hz does not show this issues.
a) For quality, go to pcpartpicker and look at customer feedback (may want to compare monitors at Amazon links directly).

b) How to use 144Hz:

1) VSYNC OFF
con: screen tearing
pro: no minimum frame rate to aim for (since you aren't synching)

2) VSYNC
con: must keep gaming above 144FPS to avoid stuttering issues (due to frame time variance)
pro: no screen tearing (and much less lag than gaming at 60Hz/60FPS)

3) Adaptive Half VSYNC:
Same as Adaptive VSYNC but it then it caps GPU to 72FPS.

You can assign the above on a per game basis. You get VSYNC at 72FPS (no screen tear, some lag vs VSYNC OFF) but if you can't output 72FPS it automatically turns VSYNC OFF... thus screen tearing.

*When TWEAKING GAME settings simply play for optimal visual quality that rarely drops below 72FPS... if you notice screen tearing too often then just go back to settings and tweak a bit more such as dropping 8xMSAA to 4xMSAA or shadows one level down and/or other settings... whichever ones give least visual benefit for the performance impact. Ambient occlusion for example is often quite demanding and some say they barely notice it.

Other:
144Hz makes the desktop smoother though you need a suitable mouse due to the high polling rate (google if confused).

Summary:
144Hz has both pros and cons vs 60Hz, but the main con mostly disappears if you force games to use Half Adaptive VSYNC in the NVidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings...

Monitors, all 1920x1080:

Some prices after rebate:

1) $240USD
TN, 1ms, 144Hz (already suggested)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

2) $133USD
TN, 2ms, 60Hz
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs238hp

3) $144USD
IPS, 5ms, 60Hz
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

Summary above:
Pros and cons with all. Second one is only 60Hz not 144Hz but also much cheaper.

The third one is IPS (better color/angles) but only 60Hz and some motion blur due to slightly higher response time of 5ms... I prefer IPS personally.

I wasn't quite sure of your maximum budget so thought I'd list a few with different features... note I couldn't find an IPS 144Hz that was 1920x1080; perhaps they're only in GSYNC/Freesync monitors? Not sure.

Other:
The best monitor would be the Acer Predator but it's very expensive. I just thought I'd mention it. It's got GSYNC, and is IPS, 4ms, 144Hz, 2560x1440.

Some quality issues on most or all GSYNC and FREESYNC monitors. Not sure if it's because technology is so new (likely) so hopefully another year will produce noticeably cheaper and better quality options.

meeko13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
it will work and definitely get it. I have LG 24gm77,have dell ips and lg ips at the sides. I can see the difference from 60hz even if you dont reach 100fps. First is you will remove vsync since there is no visual tearing even on the fps like farcry 4 in 60hz you move the mouse too much the screen will split on a 60hz. I think you need an very speedy eyes to notice tearing on non-gsync 144hz monitor unlike 60hz it is tearing too much when you are exceeding 60fps and even below 60fps but 120hz and 144hz does not show this issues.

Solution