Monitor shuts off goes no signal random times

smy10

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
this occur last year maybe once ever couple months but now it occurs almost ever 5 mins. Everything boots on no noise anything my monitor just goes no signal and when i turn my computer on it still gets no signal. Use to take out the ram and put it back it use to work now it dosent.

HIS 7970

8gb ram

windows 8.1

Xfx 650 watt

i5 4670k

edit: it could be my my graphics card dvi port because when i hook it up to my i5 intel graphics card it works. If i do end up hooking it to the intel graphics card will i experience any delay in gaming etc if my 7970 still runs

smy10

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

The fans spin and everything works temps are low. If i hook my dvi to the intel graphics and running the 7970 same time will i see some sort of delay because its not hook to my 7970 if you what i mean. Because my 7970 still works and when i hook to the intel graphics it still says i am running my 7970

iGPU:
Since that works then it's likely your HD7970 is failing.

Other:
When you connect to the motherboard to use the iGPU you aren't actually using the HD7970 anymore. I know there are some weird solutions like from LucidLogix (that never worked well) that can pass from HD7970 to iGPU and out to monitor though it's unlikely you'd use that.

Either way though, since the issue goes away when switching GPU connections the problem is almost certainly your HD7970.

Other:
Reinserting DDR3 as a fix makes little sense to me. Perhaps it was simply shutting the system down that was somehow working.

*I would suggest running MEMTEST for a full pass though: www.memtest.org
- change BIOS boot order if necessary to DVD or USB as applicable.

Update:
Your POWER SUPPLY is another possibility as well. I doubt it since it's happening with little load though however I've seen weird power supply issues in the past.

Other than trying a DIFFERENT graphics card, power supply, or swapping the HD7970 into a different system I can't make further suggestions other than buy a new video card.