USB Ports Not Working after W10 Upgrade.

Runman

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Once the computer gets into Windows none of the USB ports work at all. I've tried every single one and absolutely nothing happens when anything is plugged in. I can get into the BIOS but changing the USB settings doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

irule9000

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have been suffering the same exact issue for the last month or so. What I found is that the drivers aren't loading properly, in that the system will recognize a device is plugged in and sometimes the name of the device but it will not determine the correct driver. To check if you are having the same issue as me do the following:
1. click command + x
2.select device manger
3. plug in any usb device (usb drive might be best)
4. check if unknown device appears
This will look like a yellow triangle next to a device in the other category. If this happens click on the device and select update driver. If automatic update doesn't work select let me choose my own driver. Then select the option below browse, like select from list or something. Scroll down to storage volumes (if you plugged in a usb drive) and select generic storage volume. This should allow you to use the drive.

I currently do this with all usb drivers and am currently looking for a more permanent fix. Obviously select the device type that you plugged in not storage volume every time. Please post if you find a permanent solution or if this helps.

Runman

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

The USB ports don't work at all. So I can't use the keyboard and mouse.

irule9000

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Did you try rebooting with a basic usb wired mouse and keyboard already plugged in? Otherwise you can also try a ps/2 keyboard and mouse.

VitaXT

Distinguished
May 20, 2013

Don't have one. I had to do a clean install.