Upgrade from ancient computer to I7-920 and motherboard from the era. good idea?

Idontworkfornsa

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
I have an ancient PC , core 2 duo. I want to upgrade. I considered an i7-4790k, maximus VII ranger and good full tower.

The above setup might cost me more than $1000. I do have the money, but I thought I'd also spend the money somewhere else. Would a Core i7 920, and good motherboard from the era be a good idea?

What I want mostly from the upgrade:
1 - I want a fast computer that doesn't lag. or take time opening a folder.
2 - I sometimes use photoshop and occasionally video editing.
3 - I do programming. currently netbeans and eclipse are slow. I also open dozens of chrome tabs. I mean really really a lot. I might benefit from a virtual machine. although not very necessary as I can use a second computer for tests. I watch movies and videos, so It's necessary to be able to play videos at highest quality without choppiness even when there are a lot of processes in the background.
4 - I might sometimes want to play games, although most of my gaming on PS4.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks

Do not buy a 920 now, it's far too old, hot, and slow. Consider a haswell i5 4690k chip instead, it'll be significantly faster.

For 1: Get a Samsung 850 EVO
For 2: The chip above is more than good enough.
For 3: The chip is fine. I have an older Ivy Bridge chip of the same type for an engineering workstation, runs Visual Studio 2015 just fine, and in conjunction with the above SSD you can compile fairly big things very fast.

For gaming, add a 950 or 960 card (or amd 360/370) and you'll be fine for medium settings at 1080p.

Idontworkfornsa

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks. both answers are really helpful.

@Tesetilaro I noticed you recommended gigabyte or MSI. I was considering ASUS, is there a problem with their boards I might not be aware? I always used gigabyte, though.

I'm considering now GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 + i5-4590 + CFD DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9 4GBx2 (8gb is still enough right?)
If there is any problem with this, please let me know.

I also use a lot of storage like 6TB. so I can't count on ssd only. but will use one SSD for C. currently I'm using 250gb 820 Evo, maybe will move it to the new PC.