My Tiger Direct nightmare: shipping issues, lackluster customer service

SloanBuildaBox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
I was asked to do a build for a friend of a friend containing an i56600k. Most online retailers I looked at were out of stock, but TigerDirect claimed to have a bundle in stock with the Asus VIII Hero board. The board shipped almost immediately, but the processor did not.

I emailed them right away asking if the item was actually in stock as their website said it was. They told me in an email i received 2 days later they would let me know within 3-5 business days. As you can imagine, I was not satisfied with this response.

I called them as soon as was humanly possible. The person I spoke to told me that the item was in fact on back order and would not ship until it came back in stock. They gave me an estimated date that put the arrival window past when I told this person their build would be ready. They stressed that the arrival window was only an estimate and they really weren't sure if would get my part on time or not.

When I explained to them that this would not work for me, they offered me a lower grade processor that they could ship right away or a more expensive processor but that if I went with the more expensive option, I would have to pay for overnight shipping to get the part here on time. Not wanting to give my client a processor that is slower than the one they asked for, I am forced to wait and gamble on getting the build to this client on time, and risk losing future business from this person.

I was quite dissatisfied with their customer service, and I will not be ordering from them again. The fact that they refused free shipping on the more expensive processor bothered me more than anything. It seems like that would be the least they could do to help me work this situation out. Definitely don't take it at face value that any item showing In Stock on their website is actually In Stock. You would think a retailer with a history as long as theirs would have it together a little better than that by now.

TigerDirect's "long history" is in fact a checkered history of bad retailing, bad management, and if memory serves, sometimes even allegations of misconduct by executive-level management (I recall reading something about tht on their latest round of brick-and-mortar store closures, but can't find relevant links now).

Currently their parent company is Systemax - that should also tell you a lot. For a long time now, they are not on a list of online retailers I would do business with.