Making old computers go faster

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
I have two PC's that I want (need) to make go faster.

PC 1: My grandparents 6 year old tower. (Don't know all the specs or exact specs)

HP compaq
Specs:
AMD Athlon II (runs at 1.30 GHz (?))
some sort of Nvidia graphics
2Gbs of RAM
250GB hard drive
Windows 7 Home premium 64bit
PSU, motherboard -not sure
Windows gives it an overall rating of 3.3

Problem: Takes about 20-30 seconds to start up and get to the desktop, once on desktop it takes about another 10 seconds for everything to load. small desktop games, internet browsers, file explorer take a long time to open and load. Very loud, even during idle, sounds like it could use a cleaning on the inside, maybe a new, quiet fan. Hard drive is loud, when a disk it put into the optical drive, it spins louder than it should.

What we want it to do: Open everything faster, start faster, be a bit quieter.
I know your answers may be "get an SSD" but there must be another way?

What I have done so far: Went through it to make sure there are no virus', cleaned the hard drive up a little. I have yet to open the hood and blast out the dust.

PC 2: My parents LAPTOP which became mine which is now being passed onto my sister (since I finished building my gaming PC)

HP Pavilion G6 notebook PC 15.6"
Specs:
AMD A8-4500m APU
Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
4.00 GB RAM
570GB hard drive
motherboard- Not sure
Started with Windows 8, now on Windows 10 64bit

Problem: Very very very slow. Has a decent start up time, but loading and opening programs and trying to get around makes it very slow and hard to use. (may be due to the fact that I have so many programs and crap on it) Also very loud. While idling it seems to just be the high pitched fan spinning. While under load it gets very loud even from a distance and gets very hot.

What we want it to do: Work faster, not open chrome so slowly. My sister plans on doing homework on it, and typing story's on Tumbler while having 3 other tabs open and Youtube. Quietness would be nice also.

What I have done so far: I tried blasting some air through it when I last took it apart (about a year ago) Seems to have only been quiet for a day. I cleaned up the thousand of pictures and videos on it so give it some space to breath. Checked for virus'.
(I know you can't do very much on a factory built home laptop, but what do I know, I'm more tower and desktop)

While a complete PC overhaul would be nice, I don't think I have such a budget. Just little things to get these things running again.

Thanks in advance!

DESKTOP: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5337632

NOTE: When it says 3GB DDR2, don't believe it, I saw with my own two eyes that it said only 2.
This may not be exact but it close enough. All specs may not be accurate.

(I don't want a best answer, I just want some simple discussion on what I can do to make these things faster)

Grandparents:
More RAM (2Gb is NOT enough for 64-bit Windows 7)
SSD

Laptop:
SSD
More RAM will help a bit too if it can support more than 4Gb.
Other than that, can't improve it because majority of slowness is because of weak cpu.

These are the ONLY ways to improve the speed slightly.
Other ways include changing the whole pc.

Normally overclocking would be an answer but none of those can be overclocked and can't handle overclock even if it would be possible.

For the grandparents, you could look up a used Intel Core2Quad + 4-6Gb RAM and call it a day.
Can find such pcs for just 20-50$.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I think it would take a while for me to figure what kinda ram the laptop takes and where to find some good ram. I wasn't even sure I could change it. Maybe I could just through in the SSD and that'll be it.

For the desktop, changing RAM should be a first priority, I was also thinking about just finding a cheap CPU too, I'll check around about a core2quad.
I want this to be a project, not something where I go "there ya go, an SSD should get you going through your day!". This is more something I just wanna spend more than 30 minutes on with a friend.

For the laptop, it is SO-DIMM DDR3. Just need to look up the supported clockspeeds.

Obviously adding ram and SSDs can "speed up" your systems.

However, the first thing to do is go in and disable/uninstall all the bloatware/unnecessary background/startup processes. These are premade systems, and they usually come with a bunch of crap programs preinstalled. Furthmore, since they are previously used systems, doing a clean sweep to remove any ad/spywares or virus might be helpful.

I would advise against spending money on them, you'll find little improvement. Better off building a cheap rig like this,

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Benjiwenji/saved/#view=PsyNnQ

*I just threw things together to show the possibility, please independently verify the parts before purchase.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Thanks, I was thinking of building a super cheap PC with a friend but wouldn't know what to do with it after, I guess they could use a new one not that they even strongly need it.

Thanks for the list, I'll definitely look into it more.

For the desktop, like the others said the RAM is a key issue you need to look into. 2 GB is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 64-bit, but it isn't going to be a pleasant experience.

The CPU in the system I think you need to investigate a little further. 1.3 GHz is unusually slow for an Athlon 2. Get CPU-Z and double check it. Afterwards, I recommend buying a new CPU for it. This system has some age on it, and a faster CPU on eBay won't cost you much. If the system is loud, probably should pick up a better CPU cooler, but a cheap one will work well enough for this system.

You could probably upgrade the RAM to at least 4 GB total, upgrade the CPU, and get a replacement cooler and be out tops $50 if you are in the United States.

For the laptop, definitely re-install Windows. That should be the first step to clean up old programs and such. Afterwards, if it is still slow, open the task manager and check out the disk usage when in use. 4 GB of RAM is plenty for a non-gaming Windows 7 system, but newer versions of Windows always need more RAM. If you notice the disk usage is particularly high when trying to do things, chances are 4 GB of RAM isn't cutting it and the HDD is being used excessively for virtual RAM. This will depend on what your sister actually does on the computer, what programs are used etc. and so I can't say for sure but certainly something to double check on.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I swear in the system properties it said 1.3, maybe 2.3, I'm not sure. I will recheck. As fr the cpu cooler, I have a stock one that came with my i5 (Don't need it) can I just stick that on there and maybe even just unplug the case fan? It's not a heavily used PC, just a few very small games, email, and Google Chrome.
I have a friend who might hook me up with 4GB of RAM that he doesn't need. Don't know if it is even gonna fit properly, how would I be able to tell? There's no manual for the PC.

As for the laptop, since it comes with windows 8, I'll reinstall Windows 10 right away for her. I don't know how much RAM Win 10 needs, and she will be using multiple Google Chrome tabs at once and maybe even a game or two. Not much to say for the laptop.

Intel and AMD have always used different cooler seatings. So it won't fit. Unless you do some DIY seating. (using zipties etc.)
The Athlon probably is so old that it has DDR2. So you would need to know what RAM your friend has.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I found and gave a link to a computer that is very close to the same. It says DDR2 so I will have to check up on that. I'm sure I can buy cheap DDR2 memory anyways...right? Do they even sell DDR2?
For the cooler, I can see if something can happen, if not, it's fine with me. I'll do some other stuff to the PC and whatnot.

You live and you learn.

Not as new, no. But there is plenty refurbished DDR2 going around. Some may be expensive, some very cheap.
Best place to look for, would be second-hand stores.
Some often have very old office pcs, running several GB's worth of DDR2.
And you may be able to get them for just 10-30$ each.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_313_622&item_id=079139

It's a bit over my budget but would something like that be of good use?

Also, that cheap PC thing, that might be a good idea for future projects for me and a friend to do. Just for fun. Thanks for the idea!

You should get CPU-Z like I suggested and double check first. It is likely you have DDR2, and if so then you would be able to get RAM for it fairly cheap. However, it may be DDR3 instead, which would cost you a bit more. Either way, you want to be sure before you buy.

Like Sapphire Thunder said, the Intel CPU cooler isn't going to work, but there are plenty of similar $5-$10 coolers you can buy which will perform well enough.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

I will check everything over. Crunch some numbers, price check everything, and see how it goes from there.
Thanks for the help again! Hopefully I can make something of this useless PC.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Hopefully some of you are still tracking this thread. I got my grandparents old pc today and it is quite the mess. I checked what DDR the ram is and it said DDR2, so I'm gonna go get some. It has 2 slots, only 1 stick of 2gb. I looked on Canada Computers and I couldn't really find anything I knew would work correctly. I guess my questions are, can I buy a stick of 2gb, and keep the one stick of 1, and just has 3gb of ram in the PC? or should it be 2 sticks of 2gb? What should go on here?

Well, normally you shouldn't but older motherboards are more tolerant about it.
So you can do it.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

So would 3 even work ok? I mean like, seeing that 2 does absolutely nothing, will that 1gb let him do google chrome, desktop games and such or should I just get him the 4gb package?

If finding 4Gb kit is too hard, then yes, it will work.
1Gb is what fresh installed Win7 64-bit uses, with few little programs installed. So that gives already fairly good extra for regular browsing.
Also, it would be better to swap to Firefox because Chrome is HORRIBLY RAM hungry browser.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Alright, well, if I wanna keep the old stick with it, the problem is I don't know if its 667 or 400 or what, and apparently that matters when mix matching. If i can find a nice 4gb one/kit I will, but it might be hard in my 40-50 dollar budget.

You can download CPU-Z, it can show the RAM clock speed. (you need to multiply the shown amount by 2 usually)

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Nevermind, I just typed up the product number online and it says DDR2 800 so ya:D Thanks for the help!

Dark knight56

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015