New gaming + programming build (1500$ and upwards budget) compatability advice appreciated

Shazii

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Filled in a template as requested by the *How to ask for new build advice* but what I really need help with is for someone to throw a quick look at my chosen parts to see if there's some compatability issues that i've missed. :)

---- START OF TEMPLATE ----

Approximate Purchase Date: Not too important but before november would be nice (Fallout 4 release on november the 10th)

Budget Range: 1500$ - 2500$ (excluding monitors, can go above 2500, but if you want a maximum, there it is)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming and playing newly released AAA - games

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitors (will be bought/aquired separately)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Webhallen, Dustin (warning, swedish website). Doesn't really matter which website/vendor as long as it is located in sweden, but the more parts I can get at the same vendor the better.

Parts Preferences: Intel processor. Everything else is fair game (though I have picked all parts already, and providing they all play nicely together I don't see any reason to switch?)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 1024 (I don't really have a specific comfortable resolution, but anything below 1600 x 1024 is uncomfortable)

Additional Comments: I am paranoid and like to have control. Most of my earlier desktops have met their demise at the hands of dust buildup and heat damage (though I can't claim to having done much to prevent it either except from using pressurized air in combination with a vacuum cleaner)

---- END OF TEMPLATE ----

A little backstory:
Heya all :D!I am a dedicated gamer and a programmer who have never before built my own computer. I have switched out the occational part now and then but I've never had the need to build an entire system from scratch before.
I became a gamer a long time before I became a programmer (I have only been a programmer for a couple of years) and thus I have never been too interested with the cogs, wheels and magic japaneese fairydust that makes a computer tick.
Though as I've matured with age and as my profession changed I've become more and more interested with the inner workings of computers.

My current computer is a dell XPS 17 L720X laptop (or more like a slightly draggable computer with an integrated monitor) with an intel i7 processor (not sure which generation) and 8 gb RAM.
It suits my programming needs quite well (though I haven't really pushed it either) but my gaming needs, not so much.

That is why I have decided to abandon my laptop as my primary computer and boldly go where everyone but me has already gone and build myself a computer from scratch.

So as a first step I have set up some general goals for my new computer to meet.
My new computer has to:

1. Be able to hold many memory and CPU-intensive programs running simultaniously
    2. Be relevant (upgradable) for a long period of time
    3. Be able to run the latest game on at least medium settings (higher is always better, but not required)
    4. Be heat and dust resistant

Below i will be listing a few reasons and thoughts behind these demands:

1. I am a programmer, and I'm loving it! This also means that I am running quite a few debugging/development tools. Sometimes for several projects at once.
    2. I want the build to last. This does not mean that I wont accept having to trade out a few components now and then (gfx-cards for example) but the longer the core components (motherboard, cpu, memory) stays relevant, the better.
    3. This is a secondary requirement, but it was also the deciding factor that made me decide on getting a "real" computer instead of my laptop, it would be kind of silly if I built an entire computer from scratch to be able to play better game and then... well... not be able to play better games :p.
    4. This is a personal nemesis of mine. Every stationary computer I have ever owned has had serious issues with dust and heat generation. Worthy of note is that none of these has had any thought at all put into cooling (i think most of them ran on stock fans and stock CPU-coolers)

Ok, so that's the requirements. Time to list the advatages I have:

1. Money. I have a generous and flexible budget for this build (I don't have a fixed price set yet).
    2. Space. Games have been my life for... well... all my life and thus I don't mind if my computer takes up some space... In fact, I would be annoyed if it didn't since it's such a big part of my life.
    3. Time. If I have to dedicate a bunch of afternoons/weekends studying/building then that's fine with me (I have been studying and searching guides, vendors and forums for roughly week already)

I have already come up with a list of parts I'd like to purchase (starting with the CPU and motherboard and basicly searching for compatible parts from there).
It's located on pcpartpicker (that tool has made this project a lot easier)

I've been selecting each part very carefully based on my requirements and compatability with my other components. Deciding factors has been reviews and benchmark-tests when it comes to narrowing down the results.
However, as I've said already, I'm a newbie when it comes to building computers so it would be worth a lot if someone more knowledgeable could throw a quick eye over the list and give a shout if he/she sees anything that could be a concern.
Note: The motherboard is missing on the list because the pcpartpicker don't seem to have the motherboard listed. But it's the new ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme .

Below I will be listing each individual part and my reasoning behind choosing that specific part, comments are more than welcome, and nothing is ever set in stone :)

Processor
Intel Core i7-6700K
Reason: In my whole (albeit short) programming career I've been using computers with intel i7-processors and I've never had a single problem with them so far... So why break a working concept?

CPU-Cooler
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
Reason:
It was among the highest rated CPU-coolers I could find that was compatible with my socket. The deciding factor here was noise

Note: I am paranoid when it comes to heat. It has been the doom of so many computers before. Thus I took the biggest baddest fan I could find. It is thus very likely that this fan is completely oversized and unneccesary. If so, please advice :).
Note 2: I have also considered liquid cooling. But since I am a newbie-builder I don't want to dip my toe into that lake just yet. First things first: Build your own computer.

Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme
Reason: It packs a bunch of stuff into one package. But the main deciding factors are:

1. It's a new high-range motherboard. Since I'm looking for longevity and have cash to spend, it feels like a good start.
    2. Can hold up to four gfx-cards and sli/crossfire-support. If my gfx-card becomes outdated it might still be able to be of some use using the sli/crossfire with a newer card. (If I'm incorrect here, PLEASE CORRECT ME)
    3. Four memory slots. More RAM slots is always good.
    4. Up to 64 GB ram. Considering I'm doing ok (note: Ok, not great) with 8 GB on my laptop then having the opportunity to add as much as 64 GB seems like a good investment in longevity.
    5. Simplified overclocking + panels and other help when it comes to overclocking and fan speeds. I am not an overclocker ATM, but I am a paranoid controlfreak and more control = peace of mind.

RAM
RipJaws 4 (3000)- F4-3000C15D-16GRK (2x 8gb) Dual Channel
Reasons:

1. I opted for only two memories initially because I want to have the option to upgrade with better memories later.
    2. It was actually the only compatible memory I could find in my country (sweden) that seemed like it wasn't a waste of space.
    3. All other memories I could find in my country was either below 3000 O.C or only on 4 GB (seems like a waste with RAM-slots on this motherboard, but PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG :D)

Harddrives
Samsung 850 pro series 125 GB SSD
Samsung 850 pro series 512 GB SSD
Samsung 850 pro series 1 TB SSD

Pros:

1. Samsung seems to be owning the entire market (quality wise) with their SSDs.
    2. SSD is king. Anything else feels like carving my 1's and 0's onto a stone tablet with a sharp rock. Nah seriously though: it's all about quick load times and silence.

Note: I plan to divide my storage on the computer onto three separate drives. The big one will hold all games (and I will need that TB for my games...), the small one will be for system (basicly the OS), the medium one will be for any loose files and documents (I don't need much space for that... 500 GB is a bit of overkill tbh)

Video card
ASUS GTX980TI-6GD5

Pros:

1. Seems to be a good high-range card to deal with upcoming games such as Fallout 4 and Star Citizen.
    2. It can hold up to 4 monitors (3 is enough for me. Two is too little)

Cons:

1. Expensive... I know I said I have a flexible budget, but SHEESH!
    2. Built in cooling... If I want to add watercooling I can say bye bye to the warranty (but hey, that's the story with most cards).

Note: I can be very flexible here, I don't really care what kind of card I'm running as long as it is of good quality, can run at least 3 monitors on a decent resolution (1600 x 1024 minimum) and is compatible with the rest of the system.

Power supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W

Pros:

1. It is a platinum-rated PSU with many good comments and good benchmarking scores
    2. It is fully modular (sure, it adds some resistance, but I'll gladly sacrifice that for the ability to switch out broken cables)
    3. It has enough juice to power my system x 2 (which might be neccesary considering I have the option of adding three additional GFX-cards)

Cons:
None that I can think of... But I'm relying on hearsay and benchmarking...

Note: Quality really trumphs price here considering this is my entire systems lifeline. If the PSU fails it may damage my other components.

Case
Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

Pros:

1. Good Airflow
    2. Big and roomy
    3. Can hold my chosen E-ATX motherboard
    4. Big window on the left side to get a good view over the component (note: I'm not interested in showing things off, I'm interested in looking in to see that nothing is burning (paranoia-alert). Otherwise I will be opening my computer 3 times a day to make sure everything is OK)
    5. Other builders seem to be fond of the obsidian series

Cons:

1. Not the most beautiful case on the market. It's not ugly... but it's not pretty either...
    2. Only place for the PSU is on the bottom... Not the best placement if one would like to try liquid cooling later on (liquid cooling + leak = puddle of liquid at the bottom of the case. puddle of liquid + 1000 W PSU = BAD!)

Note: If anyone knows of a case that is roomy, can hold an E-ATX motherboard, provides a good view of the interior, has a good airflow and can place the PSU on the top (or better yet, top AND bottom) please, please, please let me know :)

Case fans:
be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan

Reasons:
If their fans are good enough for my CPU they're good enough for my case i guess...

Note: I plan on using the two fans that are included with the stock case (frontal mounted intake) in combination with these wo fans (bottom mounted intake).
I don't have any plans on adding any fans that will suck the hot air out. Smart move or dumb move? More fans? Less fans? Please advice! :D
From what I can see, my chosen motherboard has the ability to control (and with control I mean adjust speed according to temperature) up to four case fans (but I'm wondering if I've not misread something there, 4 sounds like a low amount).

Optical drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Reasons:
I don't have any... I haven't used a cd/dvd in several years... It almost feels like I should skip the optical drive completely since USB-sticks work way better anyway. Only reason I chose one was because it costs nearly nothing and it's better to be safe than sorry... What do you guys think?

Operative system
Windows 10 Home edition (64 bit)

Reasons:
I program in C#, any OS except windows will basicly be like chopping my arms off :D

Ok! So thats a quick summary of my thoughts, reasons pros and cons on each individual part (holy wall of text!). When it comes to cooling the system, I do realise that liquid cooling is more effective and has the capability of being more quiet than fans. Not to mention that you can move the radiators and fans outside of the case and thus even further reduce dust buildup in the system.
However, I feel way to new to all this to be comfortable implementing a cooling system right off the bat. I know there are closed systems that are basicly "plug and play". But then I would have no control over what happens in the cooling system. Having the ability to drain, clean, take apart and replace parts of a cooling setup would give me a HUGE peace of mind. So unless you guys think it's ABSOLUTELY neccesary, then I will stay away from cooling until I feel that I have all the other parts under control :).

Thanks for reading this far. And as already stated: Input is much appreciated! :D

Shazii

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

I have actually already looked at the fan you suggest (same brand as the one I've went with). It seems nice and the only reason I didn't choose it was because the ratings for my current one was slightly better.

The case you suggest seems real nice, it's a tiny bit bigger, but also provides more space for the CPU cooler (the cooler I chose would barely had fit in the airflow-case, but it seems as it should have no problems fitting in the case you suggest. Besides, it looks better.

I might switch my case :p

EdwardJenkinsS

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2015
Well the only thing about the case is the price point, some would consider it a bit much. But the Phanteks model I posted has all kinds of cool stuff that to me, make it worth the price. Individual drive bays that slide out. A pre-installed fan hub, that powers all the fans through one connection. Plenty of space for upgrades as well, and more space for SLI. I was very impressed by the size of the box it came in, I'll never forget that impression. Everything screwed down nice and snug in my build. The case even has filters in front of the intake fans. That you can slide out and clean.

But I had to liven up the plain black case with some stickers, because I'll certainly admit that the black is a bit plain and boring. But soooooo much space, I love it. Oh and the places to feed cables through have these awesome rubber guard things. Hard to explain. Oh and your GPU, I love the choice in the new TI. But I would consider getting the 980TI that has the ACX 2.0 cooling system provided by EVGA.

I am a bit biased though. Because my 980 has the ACX 2.0 cooling system, and its always cool as a cucumber.

Here the GPU and make sure to change it to the model that has the dual fans built in. Any of those are awesomesauce. Like the one that is SuperClocked. Ohhhh yeah. I'm salivating thinking about it.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Graphics-06G-P4-4992-KR/dp/B00YDAYOJG

I love the dual fans that are built in. Provides excellent cooling, between the case fans, the fan you got, and the ACX 2.0.

The temps should be fantastic.

ben001

Distinguished
Well, within such budget you can a good build. I went through your thread & really have to say about the details, appreciate it, a big like from me. We need such type of detail thread from OP before preparing a build.

Nothing much to say, i already conveyed it through the build.

:Advice:
To get free from dust, DIY -
1) You need to maintain you setup once a month to clean up dust filters from the case,
2) For the cpu cooler once after every 6 months or a year.
3)For now, it's not necessary to pair another video card unless you're using a dual display. A single card is powerful enough. Still added a power supply unit for SLI if you willing to add another.
4) It's better to get win 8.1 then upgrade it to win 10 until their buggy, other issues get solved up by windows
5) Do overclock when your cpu warranty becomes void.

Generally the more dust the more temperature will rise. It's better you take it for grant if you really care about of your components.

:Clean up :
CPU COOLER:- It's simple, take the cooler from the chip, place cooler on a paper, open the fans from the heatsink, use the tool to clean fans & heat sink (mentioned in the link), clean the chip with high purity isopropyl alcohol with the help of a paper towel, put a small amount of thermal compound and fit the cooler well with the chip. This will help you, Link:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2037100/youre-a-dirty-dirty-dusty-pc.html
Installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2p6Hk4IfqI

Now your setup is ready according to your needs: Targeted build range ($1500-$2500)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.33 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($769.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2261.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-13 15:45 EDT-0400

Hope this helps.