How do I install windows 10 to a HDD in my computer but keep all my files on that HDD?

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
So I was making a bootable USB and I must have mucked something up in the CMD because my windows 10 wont launch and says it cant repair itself. I put in a spare HDD and installed Windows 10 to that to make sure it was the OS that was the problem, and it boots fine from that HDD. Now when I try to reinstall windows 10 and do the keep data option it only works on the HDD that you are using you don't get to select what HDD to use? So what can I do to reinstall windows 10 on my other HDD if I cant get onto it and keep all the data on it at the same time?

Hey there, SuicidalCookie!

I'd recommend you to check the HDD's status in Disk Management while you're still booted into Windows with the other drive. Another thing you could do is try to access the HDD's data from there and even run some tests using the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool. In case you cannot find it, you can refer to this thread for some third-party suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Taking some screenshots from Disk Management could be very helpful, too.
Another way to save your data is to transfer it to an external HDD or some other storage device, until you've freshly installed Windows 10. Afterwards, you can simply copy it back.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting! :) Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
As there is no easy solution to this (Cant simply install Windows 10 on that HDD without loosing data I have decided im going to backup my important data and do a clean install of Win10. Its probably about time I did a clean install anyway. Thanks for the help :)

TRENDING THREADS