Windows 10 clean install causing stability problems???

maskedmonkyman

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
So I upgraded my hard drive and used windows 10 media creation tool to make a boot able USB. I performed a clean install onto my machine but for some reason it seams to be having major stability issues.

Sometimes windows won't even boot properly, when it does boot properly I get system freezes and sometime it will just unexpectedly crash and restart without any warning. I tried hooking up my old drive and using diskpart clean all to wipe anything that could have been on the drive and then doing another clean install and still I get the same set of problems.

just to make sure that it wasn't something wrong with my drive/computer I went and used an old windows 7 install disk that I had laying around. It works perfectly no hangs, no crashes, and boots properly every time. has anyone else had a similar issue? What should I do about it? I could try making another media creation disk (maybe I somehow got a bad one?) and trying yet another clean install or maybe I should just try upgrading the windows 7 install that is on the disk now since I know it is stable.

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks

Solution
Windows 10 has been causing some people quite a lot of problems due to driver incompatibilties with their motherboard.

Unless there is a specific reason why you need to use 10 right away I'd suggest sticking with 7 and waiting for a few more months to upgrade to 10 while they hammer out more of these bugs. Not everyone needs to do this, but for some people it would probably be the course of least resistance/ headache.
Windows 10 has been causing some people quite a lot of problems due to driver incompatibilties with their motherboard.

Unless there is a specific reason why you need to use 10 right away I'd suggest sticking with 7 and waiting for a few more months to upgrade to 10 while they hammer out more of these bugs. Not everyone needs to do this, but for some people it would probably be the course of least resistance/ headache.

Solution

maskedmonkyman

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

My old install was windows 10 (upgraded from 7) that ran no problem it was only when I tried to perform a clean install on my new drive that I had any issue.

Try disabling Secure Boot in BIOS
Makes sure the BIOS is up to date from the website as well
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Download/

I had issues with Secure Boot and Windows 10 on my board, I ended up disabling it to get it to install.

Could be the new HDD is DOA also, might want to boot on the Windows 7 HDD and run a SMART scan on the new HDD.

maskedmonkyman

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

My old drive still has windows 10 on it and hasn't been touched. My new drive is the one that I am having trouble getting windows 10 to work on. I installed 7 on it and it is working fine (I am currently using it to write this response) so it is not the drive it is something with the windows 10 OS itself.

Random Restarts are an unusual problem. The only difference between the two OS installations is the HDD has changed. I'd check that as your problem first. HDD's die a lot, and there's been a lot of DOA drives, it's not unusual.

If it was Windows 10, both installs would be behaving the same way. It's either a driver issue, a conflict with hardware of somekind, or bad hardware

I've never heard of Windows 10 shutting down randomly, that isn't a Windows 10 known issue. It's not that different from Windows 7 or 8. It's more just cosmetic differences.