High DPC latency with ndis.sys soon after installing windows 10

Alcon

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
I noticed that every now and then (a few weeks after downloading windows 10) I will get a little audio/video jitter when i'm watching a video or playing a video game. So I installed LatencyMon to get some details, and after running it and having the stutter occur, I noticed ndis.sys is the culprit, but I don't know how to fix this. Below is the report from LatencyMon.
*All drivers are up to date
*Power management disabled on network card

(Also, I don't know why it's reporting my actual cpu speed to be so low, since it plays games effortlessly and all power saving/underclocking options are disabled and it stays cool.)
-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:20:12 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: ALCON
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8092 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 4013 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 17 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 86506.944318
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 10.324216

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 86473.699870
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4.471071

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 121.402940
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.051958
Driver with highest ISR total time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.058052

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 568704
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 86537.260404
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.092313
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.245839

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 3831905
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1427
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 3
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: settingsynchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 13306
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 10859
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 3337876.61550
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 1.240293
Number of processes hit: 14

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 59.377360
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 121.402940
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5.560515
CPU 0 ISR count: 557464
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 86537.260404
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 21.663183
CPU 0 DPC count: 3555975
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 16.319059
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 58.224769
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.066094
CPU 1 ISR count: 10646
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 851.087466
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.836059
CPU 1 DPC count: 87135
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 8.582872
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 39.159731
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002886
CPU 2 ISR count: 422
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 147.721904
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.244421
CPU 2 DPC count: 37735
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 12.339636
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 40.824819
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000728
CPU 3 ISR count: 172
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 175.775978
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.132231
CPU 3 DPC count: 19404
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 9.054445
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 144.38450
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.302496
CPU 4 DPC count: 45014
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 11.343350
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 178.284326
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.135825
CPU 5 DPC count: 20272
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 8.355452
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 157.570147
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.341901
CPU 6 DPC count: 45539
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 11.423684
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 226.128333
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.186856
CPU 7 DPC count: 22264

Solution
As of late Nvidia and Windows 10 have been feeling criticism from the community for all the mess. The stutter you've caught on is found across the www and the same was found when Windows 7 rolled out all those years back.

If you've performed a clean graphics driver installation then there isn't much you can do but wait for the dev's on both Microsoft and Nvidia to recognize this issue and deploy a solution.

Regarding the low CPU frequency that can happen when you have some conflicting drivers. On my Asus Rampage Extreme x48 system if I run AiProbe and CPU-z alongside my overclock then there is a warning sound off AiProbe. I'd say hang back regarding the CPU clocks. If it's not broken don't be worried about it ;)

Lutfij

Titan
As of late Nvidia and Windows 10 have been feeling criticism from the community for all the mess. The stutter you've caught on is found across the www and the same was found when Windows 7 rolled out all those years back.

If you've performed a clean graphics driver installation then there isn't much you can do but wait for the dev's on both Microsoft and Nvidia to recognize this issue and deploy a solution.

Regarding the low CPU frequency that can happen when you have some conflicting drivers. On my Asus Rampage Extreme x48 system if I run AiProbe and CPU-z alongside my overclock then there is a warning sound off AiProbe. I'd say hang back regarding the CPU clocks. If it's not broken don't be worried about it ;)

Solution