Building a new computer, taking suggestions!

Wepi

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hello!

So I am helping my friend, who does't know a lot about building computers, "upgrade" his pc. Im aiming for a mid-high range pc. Theme of the build is "Future proofing", since i would like it to be able to upgrade it later, if he so desires. The budget is fairly loose, around 1000-1500 euros, but obviously less is better.

He uses his pc mainly to play video games, nothing competative. And also does not understand the meaning of +30fps... The problem with his pc at the moment is that it simply refuses to run some games at all, due to the ancient cpu and lack of ram.

The plan was to salvage the old nvidia 560 ti from his old computer and replace everything else.

So my plan was something like this:
- 125gb or 256gb ssd, probably intel 730 or samsung evo 850
- 16gb ram
- 500gb - 1TB Hdd for mass storage (love WD blacks/blues)
- Cpu... This is a hard one, since i really like the i7-4790k but i am worried that i should be going for the 6700k for better "future proofing". The 6700k would allow us to take advantage over ddr4 and would bring the price of future upgrades down by saving on memory/mobos. But on the other hand the 6700k comes with a small price premium as do the ddr4 memory kits and lga1151 mobos. Also the benefits of ddr4 in gaming are irrelevant.
- Psu havent really given that much thought to, somewhere in the 850W mark, since although we are not changing his gpu for now, that upgrade is imminent.
- For cooling i was thinking a corsair h100i and some noctua fans etc.

Note that budget must have room for a case as well.

Now before any of u shout BOTTLENECK, i want to make it clear that there is a plan for a new gpu, the fact is i need to force him to switch away from his crappy 1600x1050 monitor first, and the budget does not allow that right now, but it will definitely happening in the near future.

Suggestions? What would u swap out and why?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I'd go with a 250gb Samsung evo 850, 1tb we black hd, and 6600k no reason for the i7 in nearly all games. Also not a necessity to go to 16 gb or memory, grab 8 and if you wanted to add 8 or swap to a 16gb kit when he redoes his gpu that should be fine

Wepi

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

It is true most games wont use the cpu that much to justify an i7, but he is a huge fan of the total war series, cities skylines etc. And from what i understand those games actually benefit from hyper threading and the added power of the i7.

Your plan for the ram actually sounds pretty good, since there will be no need for the extra 8gb for now, and can be easily added in later.