High end build for media editing and gaming

cschodt

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hey Folks,

I'm doing a lot of 4k video editing and After Effects, and it's choking my current rig. Hard drive configuration is almost as important as processor speed for this sort of deal. My current setup is...

Asus Sabertooth 990 FX r.2
AMD FX-8350 at 4.47
Radeo 7950 (core 1050MHz memory 1575MHz)
16GB DDR3 1866 (g.skill)
Creative Titanium HD sound card (for good ASIO support)
256GB SSD boot drive
256GB HD cache drive
2 TB drive media previews
2x2 TB RAID 0 for media files

Clearly I'm an AMD fanboy, but I just can't get on board with big red these days, and I'm looking to switch it up. Here's what I'm eyeing as a replacement...

ASUS Z170-DELUXE LGA 1151 (dual LAN for a decent NAS for backup, good m.2 and u.2 support, lots of USB 3.1)
Intel i7 6700K
EVGA 980 ti Hybrid
32GB DDR4 2800 (g.skill)
Creative Titanium HD sound card (might as well keep using it, it works well)
400GB Intel 750 SSD pci 3.0 (boot drive, programs)
256 GB SSD on SATA (my current boot drive, turn it into the cache drive)
1 TB SSD on SATA (media previews, a Sandisk Ultra 2 a picked up a while ago)
2x4TB HGST drives in RAID 0 for media files

Yes yes yes RAID 0 is risky, I back up everything to externals, and to the cloud, and I'm planning to get a NAS or DAS (QNAP or DROBO?) after this build.

Clearly this will crush games, so my concern is more about media creation. Here's my thought process with the 6700K instead of a 6 or 8 core processor. Premiere and media encoder can multithread and use GPU acceleration with CUDA, but After Effects is speed dependent, not core count dependent, at least for now. Seems like the 6700K is faster single core than any of the competition, and still pretty damn fast in multi core.

So does this look functional? No crazy bottlenecks? Does it make more sense to get the 750 in a u.2 format than a straight pci card?

It's about a $2,200 build, but considering the amount of time I'm wasting waiting for things to render, I feel like it's reasonable.

Appreciate any feedback!

-C

cschodt

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
How does the i7-5820 compare in single threaded performance? Audition, After effects playback and a few other Adobe processes are still run best on 1 thread.