Continuous BSOD (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) Loop

jmxvolpe

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Today, I finally went through with the free Windows 10 upgrade. After the upgrade concluded, my laptop worked fine for about an hour, after which time it crashed to the new and improved Windows 10 BSOD, informing me that they would restart my computer for me. The problem is that, after the initial ACER screen, in which I can press F2 to enter setup, a Windows Automatic Repair screen comes up, and shortly thereafter, crashes right back to the BSOD. It will do this 5 or 6 times before giving up and staying shut down. I cannot press F8 or Shift+F8 to enter safe mode at any point.

Now, when I press F2 to enter the set up screen, I am given the following 5 screens, in order:

rFdTkMP.jpg

rFdTkMP

6n2Ci53.jpg

U7y4EXm.jpg

RGORkdL.jpg

Vg0xPfE.jpg

As far as I can tell, with an admitted lack of expertise, there does not appear to be any way for me to access the BIOS to at least get to safe mode, and perhaps go back to a restore point. Any help that anyone can provide would be immeasurable, and greatly appreciated. I would post logs, but I literally cannot access anything other than these screens.

Solution
In case anybody has the same issue as me, I'm posting my solution to it.

I powered my laptop down, and removed the battery. I then plugged the power cable in, so that the laptop was only powered by it, and not the battery. When the screen came up for Windows Automatic Repair, and before it crashed back to the BSOD, I held the power button to crash windows. This allowed me to get to the Windows Advanced Start menu, and then allowed me to revert back to my previous version of Windows 7, before the upgrade to Windows 10. What followed was a blue screen that told me Windows was preparing to restart, with the windows spinning dot loading icon. I left it at this screen all night, and when I woke up this morning, it was still there. I...

jmxvolpe

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
In case anybody has the same issue as me, I'm posting my solution to it.

I powered my laptop down, and removed the battery. I then plugged the power cable in, so that the laptop was only powered by it, and not the battery. When the screen came up for Windows Automatic Repair, and before it crashed back to the BSOD, I held the power button to crash windows. This allowed me to get to the Windows Advanced Start menu, and then allowed me to revert back to my previous version of Windows 7, before the upgrade to Windows 10. What followed was a blue screen that told me Windows was preparing to restart, with the windows spinning dot loading icon. I left it at this screen all night, and when I woke up this morning, it was still there. I decided to try powering the machine down, and then back on. Upon powering back up, it went into the recovery mode to revert back to Windows 7. After about 5 minutes, I was finally back to my Windows 7 log on screen, and was able to log on. For anyone else having this problem, it appears to be an issue with a graphics driver being lost or deleted on the upgrade, and so I had to search for and install new drivers when I was finally back in Windows.

I hope this solution helps others, as the only other suggestions I found seem to involve taking the hard drive out of the machine and inserting it into a USB hard drive enclosure, then running diagnostics to see if the hard drive died.

Solution

Magwheelz

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

You said you "held the power button to crash Windows". Do you mean the same power button you use to turn the laptop on? I do that and it just powers down.
Thanks