Programs still open after shut down?

Jcarbwood

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
Hello, I've been experiencing this issue for some time now. I have a good feeling it started after installing Windows 10.

So, my problem relates to programs that I have been using still open after a shut down. Once and a while I will shut down my computer (I mean a full shut down, turning off and getting rid of residual power) but after getting everything back on... I experience something very strange. It appears that all the applications I was using before shut down are still open!

Now, I know my startup programs and this isn't the case here. My tabs in Chrome are all the same, Skype still is open to the person I was messaging last and other applications are open as well. Just today I turned off my pc, unplugged everything, and was cleaning it out but... when everything was back together... programs were still open when I started up.

The only sources of the problem I could think of is in my RAM, Hard Drive, or something wrong with windows, any help is very much appreciated.

Solution
Are you sure you were shutting it down instead of just entering hibernate?

As for tabs and skype, that's just how modern programs work by default now, they try to recover the last good session. For skype I don't think there's an option, but for chrome, firefox, and IE/Edge there are options for that. If the programs start by themselves that's another issue (though skype does start up automatically by default), and they are either in the regedit current users/local machine->microsoft->windows->current version-> run, in the task manager startup programs, or in the task scheduler. There is no other way for those programs to start up without interaction without being linked back to one of those (might have a program in the middle, login...
Are you sure you were shutting it down instead of just entering hibernate?

As for tabs and skype, that's just how modern programs work by default now, they try to recover the last good session. For skype I don't think there's an option, but for chrome, firefox, and IE/Edge there are options for that. If the programs start by themselves that's another issue (though skype does start up automatically by default), and they are either in the regedit current users/local machine->microsoft->windows->current version-> run, in the task manager startup programs, or in the task scheduler. There is no other way for those programs to start up without interaction without being linked back to one of those (might have a program in the middle, login script, etc, but 100% will be connected to something in one of those three)

Solution

manoj_41

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I am also experiencing the same thing when I recently updated my 8.1 OS. I don't say or consider it as an issue or problem with my PC or OS. Rather, I think it is a new update or a feature by Microsoft itself. Most of the times very useful for us like sudden power loss or shutdown by mistake without saving our documents. I observed my notepads and documents are still showing all the text even if I don't save them.

I would say enjoy this feature rather worrying about this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 shutdown is actually hybred hibernate so since it saves half the open programs into ram and other half onto hdd, any documents and folders open when you shutdown will be there on a restart.

The only time a win 10 machine is truly off is either after a power outage or during a restart, or if you have turned off Fast Startup.