How do I create a new folder in Windows 10 Mail?

Gabriella_KF

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
I use Windows 10 Mail on my PC. I simply cannot find the way to create new folders where I can move my e-mails according to different subjects/topics from the Inbox. I would be grateful for some advice, because otherwise I think Mail is OK. Thank you!

Solution

That's because folders don't exist in the mail app!

Yes, you heard right, the mail app actually doesn't do anything other than access what your online email account already offers. If you need that functionality, you have two options:
1) Go to your email's website and set up folders and sorting there
2) Buy Office 2016 and use Outlook (or any other full fledged desktop mail client)

Folders aren't really useful anymore thanks to performance improvements in modern mail...

That's because folders don't exist in the mail app!

Yes, you heard right, the mail app actually doesn't do anything other than access what your online email account already offers. If you need that functionality, you have two options:
1) Go to your email's website and set up folders and sorting there
2) Buy Office 2016 and use Outlook (or any other full fledged desktop mail client)

Folders aren't really useful anymore thanks to performance improvements in modern mail applications, you can put everything in an archival folder and then search for what you want. It's usually faster than sorting, unless you have enough that you need to do both.

Solution

Les___A

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I used the email account on my smart phone (Galaxy S6 Edge), in your mailbox just click on the "More" next to "Settings" in the top right, it comes up with "Search folders" and "Add folder".......Just click the "Add folder", name it and place where you want.