We couldn't update the system reserved partition! (PLEASE HELP!)

tigershrimp

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello, in 2011 I bought W7 so yeah finally decided to upgrade to W10 but damn it keeps saying it cant reserve partition, aint sure what is that, but it happens every single day all week no matter what i do.

Q: Did you use google?

A: Yes I have, tried whatever i could find though those were mainly solutions for W8.1 so idk but they didnt worked on my pc, it still says this annoying partition thing

Q: Tried to reinstall windows 7?

A: Yes i did, it also says failed to update system reserved partition, even though i still have the original disk that I've bought

Q: Tried to contact microsoft?
A: Yes I did, unfortunately their solution (very complex) doesnt seem to have worked for me.

If anyone could provide a solution which is suitable for average IQ guy with no special computer programming/engineering/fancy thing skills and which would actually work I'd be very grateful!

I've attached screenshot to show how the error looks like when i try to update to W10 via "GWX" mini program in bottom right of the screen, pretty much same maybe even identical message happens when i try to reinstall W7.

I am so desperate that I am willing to try any possible solution which has any hope of success, if you have any even tiniest odea of what to do to save this issue, please help, dont hesitate and post in this thread! Even if it wont work then you've atleast have "bumped" the thread so some smart guy with a solution may eventually see it... I have nobody else to ask, I got no family members which are experts with computers (ofcourse they can use them, but i mean not the kind of experts to fix issues with computers)

I deeply apologise for my insufficient knowledge of english language, if you have not understood any sentence, please do not hesistate to ask to clarify!

SCREENSHOT HERE!
THE SCREENSHOT
^the screenshot of error

Oversized recovery partition. You could re-size it using disk management.

Right click "computer" select manage and go to Disk Management under Storage to re-size the recovery partition.

I recommend a clean install instead by following these steps here...http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html (This will re-create the partitions automatically)

Just be sure to backup any important data.

Or you can just keep Windows 7. Microsoft will support it until 2020

RJMadCat

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
I had a partition problem myself, it was to do with not having enough partition space left. Dunno if this will help or if you tried it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3a6znd/we_couldnt_update_the_system_reserved_partition/

tigershrimp

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
tried the clean reinstall idea, didnt worked out, i managed to create ISO copy and get it in USB well everything of the link R4INMAN provived went through well ,but in that link there was antoher one http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html < this one, and it doesnt work, itried to change BIOS and boot from USB but it still boots into OS...not into the installation window right away. and if i try to launch the window right from OS : DAMN F***ING CANNOT UPDATE PARTITION AGAIN damn.. after this message im so... world doesnt have the words needed to express my fury.

A clean install is the best option here. Follow the steps above for Windows 10. If you choose to clean install Windows 7...during the install process, select custom (advanced) option and delete all the old partitions until all that's left is one large "unallocated space" and install the system there. Windows will create any necessary partition afterwards.

tigershrimp

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014

i got the bootable USB with all the first page done but i dont know how to use it, when i try boot from USB it botos into OS!

i would like to delete partitions and anything sheesh i dont need any files, il do whatever is necessary but i didnt even got that far...

where to delete all partitions?

Deleting partitions will happen during the installation of Window 7. You will be prompted to select custom or upgrade install. Select Custom (advanced)
2439d1231630451-clean-install-windows-7-a-step6.jpg

Use the Drive Options (advanced) to delete all the partitions except the unallocated space.
2440d1231630464-clean-install-windows-7-a-step7.jpg

Then click next
6d886e76-7d91-4de2-b93e-ec65d008a72f_15.png

tigershrimp

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014
alrgiht, but i dont even got to that window! if i try to reinstall W7 it pops up "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" before installation process begins, same with GWX .. and when i try to boot from USB it still launches OS and then iagain appear on desktop so ffs.