Looking for advice on a PC build for an office environment

kdrogalis

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of 2015 (hopefully)

Budget Range: >$350 after rebates and shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Office work. No gaming. MS Office Suite, Windows 10 able, Accounting (Quickbooks), Tessitura ticketing software, smooth HD Youtube experience.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, MOBO, HDD, Case.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, SuperBiiz. (I've heard mixed things about OutletPC.com)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU is the only preference.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Varies. 1280x1024 up to 1920x1080 with 2 dual monitor setups.

Additional Comments: Quiet, reliable. For office work.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current computers are old, slow, abominations that are dying off one by one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DkCs7P

I've assembled this parts list and would like a second opinion as to whether this will meet the needs that by business has. We are a non-profit organization and do not have a lot of $$ to spend, hence the small budget. We would be looking at purchasing ~10 of these PC's. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Looking to get the most bang for our buck. Thank you in advance.

Hawkshot

Admirable

For 2 screens the CPU listed maybe too slow if you have multiple windows open at the same time maybe look at something like Core i3-4170 ? its a fair bit faster but costs a little more everything else seems fine

It looks good to me.

I was puzzled by the microATX motherboard choice, but after looking for full ATX boards for you there really wasn't anything better close to your price range.

The GT 610 only supports a maximum of two monitors. You will need a GT 640 or above to use 3 monitors, so keep that in mind if some of your PC's need 3.

rollingbarrels

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
For the light usage you are describing, I reckon that using the integrated graphics here would suffice. The CPU you have chosen supports up to 3 displays provided that your motherboard has the ports for it (which it does). As far as I know, as long as your connection speed is up to scratch you will be able to achieve a "smooth HD Youtube experience".

I would also recommend getting an aftermarket CPU cooler, if you want your systems to run quietly. The stock Intel CPU cooler is sufficient, but they tend to run louder than most relatively cheap aftermarket coolers and if you have 10+ of them running at high rpm in the same room simultaneously, then you will have a very noisy office.

The mechanical hard drive might also generate a bit of noise when it's at load, but unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about that since I presume that SSDs are not within your budget.