Is it possible to make it so folders on a flashdrive appear the same way (folder icons, view settings) on a friend's computer?

Fynriel

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I am preparing this flashdrive for a friend with his favourite anime on it and I carefully prepared all the folders to have neat little icons and hidden the icons files (along with some surprises) in an invisible folder, etc.

But when I try the drive on my laptop everything's gone. The icon's revert back to regular folder icons, everything is in details view (which also makes the invisible folder decidedly noticeable).

My question is, is there ANY WAY to have a folder retain all of its settings when plugged into a different PC? Both PCs (mine and my friend's) are Windows 10. My laptop that I used for testing is Windows 8 however.

Solution
Most of the settings are locally stored per user and can not be changed or overwritten by a stick. And from a security standpoint would you really like to get invisible folders with unknown content even from a friend? Try to create a html.index page on the stick instead. It opens in the browser, may tell the story and links to the actual content / files. Many free tools out there, like Microsoft Expression Web
Most of the settings are locally stored per user and can not be changed or overwritten by a stick. And from a security standpoint would you really like to get invisible folders with unknown content even from a friend? Try to create a html.index page on the stick instead. It opens in the browser, may tell the story and links to the actual content / files. Many free tools out there, like Microsoft Expression Web

Solution

Fynriel

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

Ok, but putting the security issue aside for a moment, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, isn't there a way (third party software maybe?) to at least keep the icons? I mean I can have it keep the icon for the drive itself via an autorun file in the root. Isn't there a way I can do THAT for the other icons?

No, but i update my previous post: create a html page instead

Fynriel

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

Thanks, that's a neat idea, although it doesn't help in my case since the idea is that I'm giving him all this content because his internet is pitiful at the moment so he can't download it himself.
I suppose I'll just include a text file that explains how to manually set everything the way I did.

You can link to the local content from the html site as well. (That's basically what the windows file explorer does, when you ope the stick.)

USAFRet

Titan

He meant an HTML file that describes the content in that flash drive, and points to the relevant subfolders.

Right![strike] http://www.sttmedia.com/filelistcreator [/strike] Wrong tool! Creates lists, but no links.

Fynriel

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

Oh, I misunderstood. I guess I'll see if I can make that work with that MS tool you mentioned. Thanks!