Game Textures Forced Low? Direct X Forcing Older Version? Card Fried?

Andrew_15

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
My Rig is
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Had this set up for almost a year no problem.

A few days ago I was playing The Witcher 3 and decided I wanted to try sweetfx, get my game looking nicer then it already did, Beat the game already on ultra settings a while back, dealing with around 45 fps. So I set the preset up, I ended up disliking it and decided to scrap sweetfx. So I went into my game directory and got rid of the files relating to sweetfx.

Next time I launched The witcher dispite having all my settings on ultra the game looked horrible, texture details looked low, character details looked alright but you could tell the lighting was off and the skin texture wasn't as good as it was. Almost like the game was forcing in direct x 9 or something, or like the onboard gpu tho disabled was somehow still being forced in game but still using memory or resources from my Nvidia Gpu, as the frame rate is actually better then it is when the game looked right.

So I try reinstalling the game nothing, tried other games, reinstalling steam, reinstalling drivers, changing every single nvidia control panel setting, change ingame settings, Reformatted my pc, tried other gfx cards. Nothing has worked, Even with other gfx cards, all my games set to ultra had the same dull texture look, and dull lighting effects, the only difference was when changing cards different frame rates due to the new cards, the textures were still the same blotchy low quality dispite being set to ultra and running on different cards. I even put my card in my friends rig and games looked fine. So it shouldn't be my card.

At this point im certain its my motherboard some how, since while I was messing around switching cards out id have problems getting my mobo to pick up the gpu's I was putting in. To the point I had to turn my computer on its side just for it to register, odd thing is when I stand it back upright after having it register nothing changed no errors it just worked. Is it possible a loose mobo slot connection could be forcing the textures low or forcing my onboard gfx card to be used instead?

See the way I understand it, No matter the gfx card used, when the game is set to ultra the game should look the same almost as every other card, the only difference being the performance of the card dealing with the game. And I saw no improvement in quality, just a change in frames performance across cards.

Im at a complete loss. Usually I can fix my own problems simply by searching google but at this point I can not find a solution and the more things I try the more its looking to be some crazy tricky problem.

I should also mention when using 3dmark stress tests the textures seem to look of proper quality.

I don't know any help or ideas would be appreciated..

tomchu

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I have the same problem just after 2 months I build my PC. I installed a ENB then after all my textures and shadows look low res. I have tried everything except started all over again with a new mobo and can't find any answers. Weirdest problem I ever had in 15 years.