How can I tell if my perpetual pump will work?

Wing0

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I have a water container, a tube that will travel some distance, then point back into the water container. There will also be a few small holes on the tube. Is there any way I can figure out if this will work before I try it? I know the diameter of the tube, the approximate size of the container, and the length of the tube. Is there an equation for this?

Wing0

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

Well I know the diameter of the tube, the size of the container holding the water (tube will be connected to water container) I know the length of the lube. From this, can I figure out how far the water will go into the tube, with an equation?

USAFRet

Titan
I remain confused.

You have a container with a volume of X gallons
You have a tube of (inside) diameter Y and length Z. Said tube will have a volume of pi * r2 * length.

And then you introduce holes and a pump?
Please...just post the full homework question. And show whatever it is you have done to solve whatever the actual question is.

What are you actually trying to do?

Wing0

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

It's not homework, I'm building an air conditioner.

I was going to buy a pump to send the water through tubes, which will hang ontop of metal screens, there will be holes in the tubes so water gets on the metal screens. The water that does not evaporate will drip down the screen, then drain back into the water container. The tube will keep going and point back into the water container.

So I basically want to do the first thing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287qd4uI7-E

Reading the comments it seems like it could fake, I don't exactly know how water pressure works, but if you have a huge container, and a tiny tube, and if you run the tube up above the container, the pressure from the water should send the water up the tube.

USAFRet

Titan
Perpetual motion. um.....
Physics does not work like that.

So....from that video, the first bit with the green liquid seems a pretty simple and cheap device to try to make. $5 in parts.

Make one, and see how it works.
Report back here.

From your original question, re: Equation? 1 + 1 = 3.

Wing0

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

That paper thing is a good idea if it doesn't work the original way. Thanks.

Wing0

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

Made one, no matter how big the container is, the water in the tube will only get as high as the water in the container. Would you know why the water doesn't travel further with a bigger container? I would think that there would be more pressure to push the water through.

Made one, no matter how big the container is, the water in the tube will only get as high as the water in the container.
This is physics.

Pressure is solely dependant on the vertical height above it (and the density of the substance), not the area.

Otherwise, you could take that narrow outlet that's raised above the rest of the water, tip it back into the main reservoir, and have perpetual motion. Physics doesn't like perpetual motion.