Upgrade to Windows 10? Best Internet/Web Browser?

Budget Gamer

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi! Been a while since I've been on this forum. I'm not very tech savvy and don't stay up to date with new releases, so please bear with me.

I just built my $1.5k rig last Thanksgiving for gaming and video editing. Just wondering if I would see any performance boosts (in any aspect) with switching from my current Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (free upgrade) and getting a different web browser.

Again I haven't really researched into the "better" features any of the things have over the other nor am I aware of any problems with either, just looking for answers from those who do know a lot about these things.

No issues with Win8.1, but I think Win10 claims to be better/faster. I have asked around about this, but people say something about if you get Win10, that you lose all privacy and everything you do on the net is spied on, is this true? (I kind of think this has always been going on, just now it's in the fine print/agreement so it's "legal"). And I've heard about it having "beta bugs", but not sure what is or isn't still a issue.

Don't laugh at me, but even though I do gaming, I have used Internet Explorer since forever and still do right now haha. It's just always worked for me (and I normally don't trust new software, just a bit suspicious that they include fine print agreements contracts to collect and distribute your web browsing info), but I've never used another browser before so I am not sure if their speeds are way faster or any other features. I know Internet Explorer is extremely slow on twitch.tv and is nearly impossible to watch live streams (unless that is solely do to my bandwidth and download speeds?).

If it is advised to get Win10, I hear Microsoft Edge web browser (new IE) is integrated to go hand in hand with Win10 (Cortana?), so I suppose that might be the better combo?

I don't use apps on my desktop gaming rig, just looking for any performance boosts in online gaming and video editing.

G

The Edge browser is actually pretty good, I use it myself and like it. However it is pretty slow in online games, I use chrome for that. So if you game a lot online, chrome or other browsers will be better. I prefer chrome, because it is fast and simple to use.

Edge is better than Internet Explorer. That is not very hard.I haven't done much on Edge other to tell it is better. However, it still isn't a patch on Firefox w/Adblock although it can trade blows with Chrome over UI. I would say its better than Safari and for everyday use nearly at a Chrome level. At least from my perspective. Privacy is a more significant issue with requests for all sorts of personal data. However if you are willing to spend a few more minutes you will be fine. Finally drivers for a lot of things, especially fancier ones like multi-monitor displays are still a bit primitive at the moment. I doubt that you will notice much of a performance difference. However I would stop using IE and switch to Chrome or Firefox w/ Adblock for compatibility and security. IE is a lot more vulnerable to viruses.

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Get Chrome and Firefox with Adblock. Those are the two best browsers you can get right now. I might used Edge later but right now the extension support isn't good enough for me to consider it as an option.

Budget Gamer

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yeah I've been hearing Firefox and Chrome are the best.
Can't remember the pros between each one, but I hear Firefox has better internet security protection.
I haven't used either before, but it sounds like you guys are saying Firefox fills their pages/browser with pop-ups/ads, hence the want for ad-block, just double checking if that is what you guys are trying to mention.

Any opinions on switching from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I am fine with 8.1, although lately I've been getting Windows notifications saying that some things (windows service? I think it said) didn't start up/turn on properly (not rebooting from a crash). Have also been having youtube and other webpages respond slower, but not sure if that is releated at all (some webpages would not respond either, and choice but to close them). Besides those issues, I would only want to switch to Win10 if it has any benefits or increase in speed..

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
No it is not that either of the browser's fill your pages with popups or ads. Adblock is just a very nice extension to have. It is all personal preference but I enjoy using it a lot.

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Also, yes switch from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Windows 10 > Windows 8.1 and the upgrade is free! so you might as well. And windows 10 does have some benefits such as increased security and I have found that many of my programs do seem to run better with 10. Fair warning, you may get some driver issues after your upgrade, just get some driver's from the manufacturers website online if this ends up happening and install the version that is right for you.