Serious about OC...but a noobie.

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi, I hope you guys can help me get over this milestone of being able to overclock my cpu. I've been wanting to do it for a long time just never had the time to do but now i do. I've read quite a bit about it but always get mixed information whats safe and stable, But I know every cpu can be different, so then i get i skeptical on my ability to do it by myself.
I hope with you guys knowledge i can achieve a safe stable and fast computer.

My specs:
CPU: Intel i-5 4690K 3.4ghz
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) & Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Case: Corsair 750D
Case Fans: 10....

Programs im using to stress test...CPUZ, Prime94, Aida64 & CoreTemps
What i have done so far was to update my bios to most up-to-date version, I set all the bios settings to "Load Optimized Defaults".
I then started the computer and ran a "Stability System Test" for 2hrs....and the highest temp was between 55-65.

That is as far as i have gone with overclocking...I guess my next question now is what do I do now with the info I have gotten from using Aida64.

Start simple from BIOS

Go with All Cores

Set the Multiplier to 46
Set Voltage to Override
Set Override Voltage to 1.200

Save and see if system will boot past UEFI. If it even starts to get OS, you have an average or above average chip.

My next step is to set the Override Voltage to 1.250V and find what is the highest stable multiplier I can get stable (it may be less than 46).

Stress test temperatures can get as high as 80C, that's OK. Normal test temperatures, with something like ASUS RealBench should not exceed about 60C.

Let us know how it turns out.

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

at 4.6ghz @ 1.3v i was still getting bsod when booting.
I managed to finally get it to boot to windows after setting the bios at 4.4ghz @1.25v
I started RealBench using the 15min stress test using all the ram i had (16gb), and after about 15sec my temps went from 35ish to low 80's and kinda lingered there for about another minute before i wasn't comfortable with those temps and halted the test. I used RealTemp for my temp monitoring.
my fans reallt didnt kick into high gear even thos emy temps where quite high...kinda wondering if i have the fans the correct config, i mean i have watercooling and 10 fans.

Any ideas fellas? That first run kinda has me discouraged a little, wondering about my cooling config etc.
Below is a pic of my fan config (not the best pic).
http://imgur.com/pFi8tUc

Do you have iLink controlling the water pump and radiator fans, or what?

Yogi

80C is a bit high, but it's fine for a stress test. What does Prime95 26.6 do? I have a Noctua NH D15S that runs stress tests at 80C.

All you needed to do was try and boot. Did it get through UEFI?

Now you know you have a good overclock at 4.4Ghz at 1.25V try increasing the multiplier to 45 and see what voltage that is for stable.

What is the temperature at idle, with no stress at all. It should be 30C or less.

How have you configured your cooler (as YOGI asked)?

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

The temps at idle is between 35C or less.
I have iLink controlling my pump and radiator and Asus Fan Xpert controlling my other fans.
So increase my multiplier to 45 using a volatge that will boot it to windows?
It it the vcore that increases the cpu temps?
Also is there any bios settings on my rog series mobo i can disable to overclock my efficiently?

Get your computer so that it boots to Windows, and successfully runs a stress test like OCCT for 15 minutes or so, and we can assume, for the moment, that it is stable.
Check to see that the temperatures are decent. 30ish idle (which we will fix later) 60ish under normal high load, 80ish under full stress.
Increase the multiplier by 1 and see if it boots.
If YES, stress test rinse and repeat.
If NO, edge the Vcore up in 0.002V steps until it does boot and pass the initial stress test or the temperatures get too high.

What we are doing is finding what the chip is capable of. When we know that we can tune the voltage and other settings to get the greatest efficiency, and perhaps drop the speed a little bit to reduce voltage and/or temperature.

What we are doing at the moment is a 'simple' overclock, adjusting only those things that we need to. Efficiency comes when we know what works.

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

When doing stress tets, you say 80ish is ok...but whats too hot to where i need to scale down?

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
ive been able to get it to boot screen at 4.5ghz @ 1.3v but running occt stress tets makes it run hot....i knocked it down to 4.2 @ 1.220v but after running test it quits after about 20secs because it gets to hot (90ish).
So i dont know how im gonna be able to get it to pass this test without overheating my comp....ive been able to boot into windows no problem just stress testing is no go.

Then so far you haven't done any overclocking, I want to express my deepest concern that you learn what you are doing first, before you do it!

You have no idea how many have crippled their hardware trying various settings not fully understanding what they were doing, I admire your desire to overclock but with the hardware you have there is no reason you cannot invest your time and learn what to do first.

So that your next post is not the multitudes we see on a regular basis like, my machine shut down and will not boot, have I destroyed my CPU?

Learn First, and Then Do!

Y0GI has supplied a good link for your CPU, I suggest you read it thoroughly!

Once you learn which BIOS settings to adjust to successfully boot and remain stable under a stress test, then you need to continue on to 100% system stability, so you do not corrupt your HDD from system crashes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2345618/reaching-cpu-overclocking-stability.html

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

Thank you for your input, I appreciate any feedback..its nice to know there are people on here that are willing to spend the time to show caution to others that are novices at overclocking.
I am very ocd about doing things and doing it correct. I have read alot of guides relating to my cpu, my motherboard bios and alot of overclocking guides. There is alot of guides that contradict things ive read from another guide so I get confused and overwhelmed a bit, because who wants to ruin their expensive computer.
I do ask alot of questions and always ask opinions of several others that are familiar with overclocking.

So on that note, im gonna start from scratch and start very slowly.
I have read your thread "reaching CPU Overlcocking Stability" so i have some questions...when you say up 1 or 2 volts do you mean like .010 or .001?

Also going back to prior thread messages, i was asked to see how many multipliers i could get to and having it boot into windows, relating to seeing if i have a"good" chip or not....the most i got it to boot win was 4.5 @ 1.3v.
I have no idea if that means anything, i know its unstable but does this info mean anything.

I currently have it back to stock settings...will follow the info you have provided on your thread on cpu stability.
Will follow up.

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

my expectations are alot higher than 4.5ghz @ 1.3v. Im sure I could go higher but id have to raise my vcore, that would be nerve racking for me.

MetaBox

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

Check your watercooling something sounds wrong, I have the same processor with a H7 cryorig Air Cooler (30$ aprox) and I overclocked it to 4.4GHz aswell, on stress tests with Aida 64 it doesnt go over 60°.
And I dont have any case fan at all.

PIGEONFOOD11

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

I kinda thought that my water cooler may not be working efficiently...im thinking about removing the whole compound and adding new fresh stuff. i know you cant just any old thermal paste. any recommendations for paste that works well for overclocking?

The voltage bump up is the smallest increment your motherboard allows, you creep up to your goal, overclocking requires time and patience.

Regarding 2nd quoted paragraph prior messages: CPU cooling and BIOS settings are a major factor as to whether one reaches a 45x multiplier, so you cannot trust that as a gauge of what your CPU can actually do, that's why I'm stressing to learn first, so you can understand how various BIOS settings can affect your overclocking end results.

It takes time to learn that there are many approaches to overclocking, some like myself, want full control over every aspect of the CPUs capability, if I was concerned about all the Intel energy saving features I would not be overclocking, so I disable all of those features.

Some want to keep some of those energy saving features enabled which in some cases limits how far they can get overclocking, because that leaves settings on auto for the motherboard to control and in some situations forces more voltage than you would use running manually to keep the system from crashing.

Those that use that approach think that is the best method, however, Intel designed their CPUs to communicate with the motherboard and if you do not disable all of Intels features you could have conflicting operational commands that for higher voltage spikes to recover from, and in some situations it doesn't recover and crashes.

IMO that's not really overclocking and if that is all someone is willing to do they may as well use the motherboards auto overclocking features and be satisfied with the crumbs from the table.

So in your research you need to decide just what type of overclocking category you are comfortable with, taking absolute full control takes a lot more knowledge under your belt, once you learn enough, you can read another authors overclock guide and see why some of what is suggested, won't even work.

A guide you can trust is one that is edited on a regular basis, the writer learns how his settings may affect other motherboards and corrects or adds information, but if that writer learned all he presently knows taking shortcuts to get there, he may not actually know much more than you do and got lucky. :)