Install Win 10 from Win 7 safe mode?

GALJohnson

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I've been planning to upgrade my daughter's win 7 machine to Win 10, but have been too busy. This morning it boots to a black screen with a functional mouse pointer, but hangs there. I did a restore to a restore point on the 15th, which did not help, and I identified a service that was not starting from the system log, which was associated with Bit Defender which I uninstalled, but then it still hung, and in the system log using safe mode it showed another service not starting. I can successfully boot into mini XP from Hiram's boot cd, so I don't think there are any major hardware problems (but I'm not sure what drivers may not be loaded in mini XP). So I'm thinking about going ahead and upgrading to Windows 10, but the link to access the Windows 10 install is not available in safe mode. So do you think it's a bad idea to try to install windows 10 when windows 7 will only boot to safe mode? And if I do try to install windows 10, how do I get to the install to start from safe mode? I looked at the install from media options for Windows 10, but it seems to require a functional earlier version of Windows - there is an option to enter a product key, but from what I am seeing it is a Windows 10 product key, not a key for an earlier version of Windows.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Came across this article over the weekend. Not sure when, or if, MS is releasing the new build but I thought you might be interested. Otherwise you'll need to get at least a minimal normal boot running before upgrading to Win10 (maybe delete some drivers). The good news is you can do a clean install of Win10 after a successful upgrade - no need for a product key because the PC is registered on MS servers after the upgrade.

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/6815/microsoft-will-now-let-windows-10-upgraders-use-windows-7-8-or-8-1-product-key-to-activate

GALJohnson

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the info - sounds great, and I'll keep an eye out for that release. In the meantime I'm going to show my daughter how to turn on and off drivers and let her try to figure out what driver is the problem. I don't expect you to watch for the answer for me, but if you happen to stumble across it, I would appreciate a quick post to point me to it.

thanks
GALJohnson

GALJohnson

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Solution was to recognize that the problem was not in the computer. The system boots from the left hand screen (POST appears in left screen), but the primary monitor for Windows is the right screen. Turns out that the right side monitor was not turning on when it got a signal. What I saw was that on boot the system appeared to hang with the right screen in standby and the left screen displaying the mouse pointer but nothing else. When I booted to safe mode windows opened in the same screen as the post, which is the left screen instead of the right screen. I figured it out because I unplugged my daughter's ear buds from the speakers, and I heard the Windows 7 Startup Sound, which prompted me to look at the monitors. I unplugged the monitor (it wouldn't turn off) and plugged it back in, and there was the login screen..