To buy a 144hz monitor now or wait (displays and graphics)

GojiraNeo

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi all,
I am conflicted in my decision of getting a 144hz monitor since my local NCIX store here in Canada currently has a Benq monitor on sale until the end of this month, http://www.ncix.com/detail/benq-xl2411z-24in-led-144hz-53-95033-1446.htm . Currently I am running an Asus 60hz monitor and a single gtx-770 card. I am also and avid first-person shooter gamer and have heard great things about the 144hz refresh rate.

The fact that I only have a single gtx 770 is holding me back and I am not looking into an SLI configuration. I feel as though not even lowering the settings on gpu intensive games will merit for a consistent frame rate. Furthermore, I expect to play shooters such as Black Ops 3 next month and the upcoming Battlefield game next year.

So what's your opinion folks? Should I just snatch the monitor while I can now? Or should I just wait until I upgrade my GPU, preferably the Nvidia Pascal cards next year, and then get a 144hz monitor? Yes, I could configure my in games settings to go for 75hz,85hz or 120hz, but I would like to truly harness and experience the full 144hz galore! In short, I am among those who would just like to have an immersive gaming experience.

I would love some feedback before this deal ends!

Thanks guys!!!

Solution
I would wait till Black Friday (day after turkey day) if you in US.... these days however, BF is becoming a worldwide phenomenon. For your usage 144 Hz has a huge advantage because it does cut response / lag times. You can look here for a comparison using BenQ'ds new 1440p model

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm

On a 120Hz monitor the lag penalty is half that of a 60Hz monitor and on a 144Hz monitor is even lower.

You can also strobe 120 / 144 Hz in order to use the build in Blur Reduction of the monitor if so equipped or using a utility like ToastyStrobelight. At 60Hz strobing would take 16.67 seconds so they double it to keep it in sync. At 144 Hz, the strobe runs at 6.94 seconds
More worrying...

Tom Keenan

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Well if you play extremely competitive games then 144 hz is good. But also response time is important, color accuracy, viewing angles etc. I mean I don't think there's an advantage to 144 hz in BF3 and Battlefront. If you can truly tell the difference between 60,75,85,120, and 144 hz then go for it. Otherwise I don't think it will really give you an advantage, or improve your gaming experience.

I would wait till Black Friday (day after turkey day) if you in US.... these days however, BF is becoming a worldwide phenomenon. For your usage 144 Hz has a huge advantage because it does cut response / lag times. You can look here for a comparison using BenQ'ds new 1440p model

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm

On a 120Hz monitor the lag penalty is half that of a 60Hz monitor and on a 144Hz monitor is even lower.

You can also strobe 120 / 144 Hz in order to use the build in Blur Reduction of the monitor if so equipped or using a utility like ToastyStrobelight. At 60Hz strobing would take 16.67 seconds so they double it to keep it in sync. At 144 Hz, the strobe runs at 6.94 seconds
More worrying though is that while operating at 60Hz there is a very noticeable ghosting trail to a moving image, but we're not sure what's causing it. It's very obvious and occurs regardless of which video interface you use. As a result we'd probably recommend not using Blur Reduction at 60Hz if you can help it as it doesn't seem to function correctly.

When using DisplayPort at 144Hz the strobe is thankfully brought in sync with the refresh rate, strobing every 6.94ms with the frame rate. Again you have access to intensity and area settings, but with the strobes being slightly more frequent now than at 120 times per second, the maximum luminance is impacted slightly. The image is clear of the ghosting from 60Hz, and there's no stuttering as the strobe is in sync with the refresh rate.

Blur reduction at 60 Hz
ghosting_60hz_blur.jpg

Blue Reduction at 144 hz
blur_pursuit.jpg

You see in the image below that combined response / lag times are very low on the 144 Hz models, much less so at 60 Hz.

lag.jpg

More reading here:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/factors-affecting-pc-monitor-responsiveness/

Solution

GojiraNeo

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I think I'll wait for Black Friday as we do have it here in Canada. I just hope that particular BenQ monitor will be on sale again or a better 144hz substitute! Thank you!