MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard Video Issues

devastator674

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hey all!

So I have 4 displays running on one computer right now, servicing my desk and my living room. I usually will be working on something at my desk and the girlfriend will give me requests and I'll just throw a show up on the projector while I work. Everything was working great for a while, no issues playing media or anything, but all of a sudden anything played with vlc/windows media player/ and even youtube videos in chrome are freezing up or just showing black. This is only happening for 2 of the displays being handled by my motherboard though. The 2 displays being handled by my video card seem to be doing okay. I can even drag videos from display to display and MOBO displays will freeze, the GPU displays play the video perfectly.

With my MOBO's graphics, I had to go into the bios and enable them, then install the drivers. I had no issue when I switched to Windows 10, and my setup has been working for at least a month before these problems started emerging. At first it only happened now and then and I could typically restart and it'd be okay. Now even restarting doesn't seem to fix anything, and the only way I could stream Walking Dead this past Sunday for my weekly get together was by switching my projector's input from MOBO to GPU.

My setup is below, any ideas?

+-----------------------------------------+
| System Summary |
+-----------------------------------------+
Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Processor
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K 3500 MHz
CPU Clock: 3500.0 MHz (35.0 x 100.0 MHz)
Level 1 Cache: 4 x 32 kB + 4 x 32 kB (data+instr.)
Level 2 Cache: 4 x 256 kB
Level 3 Cache: 1 x 8 MB
Motherboard
System Name: MSI MS-7845
Board Model: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845)
BIOS Version: AMI BIOS 08.00.10
Chipset Name: Intel Z87 (Lynx Point)
Chipset Vendor: Intel Corporation
Chipset: 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller
Southbridge Vendor: Intel Corporation
Southbridge: Z87 Express LPC Controller
DMI/SMBIOS Version: 2.7
Memory
Memory Size: 15.9 GB
System Memory: 16264 MB
Memory Module: 8192MB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) SDRAM (Crucial Technology)
Memory Module: 8192MB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) SDRAM (Crucial Technology)
Storage
HDD Model: WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0
HDD Model: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
Video
Monitor Vendor: Dell Computer Corp.
Monitor Model: DELL 1800MP (DEL 601A)
Monitor Vendor: Hewlett Packard
Monitor Model: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Vendor: Samsung
Monitor Model: SyncMaster 171MP/175MP, MagicSyncMaster RB1700MP
Video Chip Vendor: Intel Corporation
Video Chip: 4th Gen Core/Xeon E3-1200 v3 Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Video Memory Size: 1024 MB
Video Chip Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Video Chip: Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
Video Memory Size: 1024 MB

devastator674

Distinguished
May 7, 2008

Yea, got windows 10 drivers from MSI's site and installed those a while back. Is it possible that the MOBO is allocating RAM for graphics and there's just not enough to go around especially for video playback?

Make sure your flash player and any other video players are up to date. You can go into bios and set the max amount of memory to be reserved for the integrated graphics. Sometimes the ads on the web site like youtube and others cause those symptoms too. Some are flash based and some are actually intrusive malware that try to utilize flash player. Clear your browser with the free CCleaner. It is an excellent app for keeping the garbage off your drive.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
A simple solution is to upgrade your video card. You didn't name your exact card for some reason (or PSU which is important), but if you are running a 57xx series AMD card.... that is ancient and not powerful at all! It was only an entry level card to begin with (I'm guessing it's a 5770 1GB?).

By getting a decent newer card with more VRAM that runs multiple monitors your probs would be solved.

You run all monitors from the card, as you should be doing anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127914

Turn off the flash player and other add on's, in your browser or browsers. Make them ask to be activated when there is content on the web pages. Flash player is usually the culprit. Too many ads on a web page that use flash all at the same time will cause a really bad browsing experience. Flash is becoming worthless as well as a security risk. Lot's of sites are getting away from flash. Even Youtube is starting to use vemeo instead.