Dedicated Pc monitor :vs: using a TV for a monitor?

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi there,

i'm thinking about buying a PC monitor,
I'm currenlty using a ~five year old 1080p Panasonic HDTV 60hz as my PC monitor..

I use my computer, solely for gaming, - and i've had one graphical problem after another..
In fact, there's only a couple of games that don't have problems (i have over 100)
So after upgrading my GPU,, having benchtests run,, - and everything coming back Fine.
I've deduced that it must? be my monitor...
The main problems i experience are; Awful screen tearing,,,, (just begs belief)...
and stuttering / unstable picture..

>>
Would i see any difference in a monitor; made for use with PCs,,, over a TV designated for watching TV on.?
i'm sure there will be better ms response e.t.c... -
But for the issues such as screen tearing and smoothness in games?
(as an aside,,, i'm going to be getting a G-Sync monitor,,) - However... ever with V-sync turned on - my monitor still displays more than one image when rapidly panning the mouse left to right.... which concerns me,,, as i was under the impression V-sync was supposed to stop this.

thanks, for any insights.
Regards,
J

Solution

yes in capital letters. You will see a world of difference compared to your TV if you...

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015
You are asking for a very strange comparison . a 5 year old Tv without telling what is the response time , which i doubt even you will know, and a latest technology sold at a premium . It depends a lot on the games you play how much stuttering and tearing is visible . Not every game benefits that much from G-sync while some do heavily . You have to read Gsync review for that. AS far as that rapid panning you described , your TV is to blame for that . It does not have a good enough response time.
I suppose you play games like CS GO in which rapid movement is frequent. So a Gsync will suit you .
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/g-sync-v-sync-monitor,3699.html

robbob_70

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks, for your salty reply ...
no, i don't know what ms the TV i use is,, - and no i do not play CS GO or games like it -_-

I'm not comparing this 5 year old TV to a 'latest technology sold at a premium' monitor....
>
I was actually wandering:
"Would i see any difference in a monitor; made for use with PCs,,, over a TV designated: for watching TV on"
I'm inquiring what the benefits of getting a designated PC monitor would be..... - whether it would solve the tearing issues, and lack of fluidity in the picture when looking around quickly e.t.c. within a game.

so i gather the response time - is causing the tearing / multiple images?

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015

yes in capital letters. You will see a world of difference compared to your TV if you buy a Gsync monitor. It is built with the purpose to solve tearing and stutter issues.
Even you know that , you just want assurance. :p

Solution