Would upgrading to 8 GB of ram fix my problem?

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I'm currently playing the game rust and I keep having extremely long loading time sometimes leading to crashes, huge lag spikes (50 fps to 0 fps), and random crashes in the game. I wanted to know if upgrading to 8GB of ram would fix this?

I was able to pull up task manager while playing (took forever almost crashed cause of load on my PC) my CPU was only at 50-60% load, my ram was at 80% at that time and my HDD was at 100%. I've seen my ram be almost maxed out though while playing. I know it's not my graphics card and doesn't seem like it's the CPU. Which just leaves the ram. When its not lagging I get really good frames on maxed graphics. Ive tried lowering the graphics and it doesn't change a thing. I know that my system is bottle-necked by the CPU but it should still be able to run this game. It's especially bad in fights or when a lot of things are happening around me, and when i try to open items or menus in the game.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. My main question though is if adding 4GB more RAM fix the problem? I have 2x2GB DDR2 RAM now using 2 of the 4 slots, so im assuming it would be fine to add 2 more 2GB sticks? If you have any other suggestions regarding how to solve this problem though feel free to comment. Thanks all.

Current Specs :

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 665

RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 @ 401 MHz(800MHz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3P (Socket M2)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Storage: HDD 1 TB 7200RPM

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I think what's causing the strain on my HDD is the lack of RAM(if that makes sense). Essentially my theory is that because the game requires 3.5-4gb minimum of ram. Since I only have 4 GB of ram for my entire system it's constantly working my HDD in overdrive mode causing the 100% usage. However if I had 8GB it wouldn't cause so much strain on my HDD. This isn't a very well explained theory because I don't know how to word it properly, but I'm thinking it's right. Plus I have friends with identical HDD's and they have no problem but they have 8GB of ram.

I'm thinking of upgrading the mother board to am3 socket and keeping the CPU since it's compatible and using the old DDR3 I have. If anyone could link a fairly cheap but dependable motherboard that's compatible with that CPU that would be awesome. Also is it ok to use DDR3 ram that came with a store bought Lenovo PC. I'm assuming yes but it's just plain old ram no cover on it on brand name such as G. SKILL or crucial it's just ram with a white barcode sticker on it. I want to make sure the ram would be compatible outside the Lenovo motherboard it came with or not. Thanks

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I think 8 GB would be quite a lot for your computer. You don't have the CPU performance to take advantage of so much in most games. I'm not familiar with the game, but it's CPU and GPU requirments are low compared to RAM requirment. However given you had a little free ram, I don't think adding more ram would help much. I mean, if not all memory was taken but the HDD was on 100% usage, then it's the HDD in that situation that's the bottleneck.

Better to get SSD drive and install the game on it. If it doesn't help enough, you can add more ram, either 2 GB or 2x 2GB. You can use the SSD in later computer and it will benefit also general usage, but the RAM would only benefit less and would be tied to your current computer.

camm1221

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
My CPU is more than enough for this game at least according to recommended requirements. Plus I get 50-60 fps when I'm not lagging. The HDD shouldn't be the problem here seeing as my friends and most people who play the game just fine have an identical HDD. I also was only able to see the task manager once when playing the game. I would know better if I could monitor my computer constantly during play but it's way to slow to open anything else. I really do think it's RAM but I'll consider the SSD. Btw I can run games such as DayZ standalone, DayZ mod, and arma 3 with good fps and those are extremely CPU intensive games.

G

please note that an ssd is 10 times faster than a hdd so ssd first, you don't know how much performance you will gain compared to little or no difference i ram although 4 sticks will open 2 channels for faster access time ssd will be the difference you will see...