144hz Monitor, plagued by grey screen with lots of horizontal lines.

JoshuaSean

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Right, so this issue has been bugging at me for ages now. So A little while back, about over a month or so, I bought an XL2411 Benq montior, and it's been driving me nuts. I often got these grey lines that would make me restart my PC in order to fix this, it would happen on start up and would by luck, not happen sometimes then i would be good.

At first, I figured it was a hardware related issue, I've been having issues with my PC for a while now, from randomly losing internet connection, resulting in my USBs dying for a second, to having to downclock my GPU in order to stop games from crashing.

However, I decided to install a second monitor, just a generic old 60hz thing using a DVI to HDMI adapter. And when my main montior had the lines, my second monitor did not. Now having payed more attention, I noticed that this only happened when skype opened. Figuring it was a skype issue causing my monitor to 'crash' I deleted it, and voila, most of the problems disappeared.

However, I decided to reinstall Skype, figuring it was just a corrupt install originally. The issues came back and remained after uninstalling. Now, instead of the lines causing havoc on start up, they would only do it if I opened a certain thing. Sometimes it would be oovoo (My replacement for Skype) though that only happened once, but the majority of the time, it was caused by me interacting with a certain opened tab, no matter what it was. Like I could click on a youtube link and then the monitor would die.

I am truly stumped here and don't know what to do, help is greatly appreciated, if you need any specs, please ask and I will give them. I am really not tech savvy at all, quite daft I am.

Thank you.

Below I have two images of what the issue looks like, sorry about them being flipped but it's pretty easy to make them out.

ldfYTrg.jpg

CXXNLKN.jpg

Solution
This is an issue with the panels used on both the XL2411 and the Asus VG248QE. It seems to be better or worse on a case by case basis, some panels more affected than others.

Some potential remedies:

If you have light boost enabled, this seems to make the phenomenon more pronounced. Turning off the feature can help to reduce the 'scanline' issue.

If you are in 144Hz mode NOT in lightboost and you still see the lines, bump the refresh rate down to 120Hz. Most people have stated this seems to completely eliminate the issue.

If nothing seems to fix the issue, consider sending the panel in for warranty repair. BenQ should be pretty accommodating considering the problem is pretty well documented.

Here's a forum topic on the issue...

spagalicious

Distinguished
This is an issue with the panels used on both the XL2411 and the Asus VG248QE. It seems to be better or worse on a case by case basis, some panels more affected than others.

Some potential remedies:

If you have light boost enabled, this seems to make the phenomenon more pronounced. Turning off the feature can help to reduce the 'scanline' issue.

If you are in 144Hz mode NOT in lightboost and you still see the lines, bump the refresh rate down to 120Hz. Most people have stated this seems to completely eliminate the issue.

If nothing seems to fix the issue, consider sending the panel in for warranty repair. BenQ should be pretty accommodating considering the problem is pretty well documented.

Here's a forum topic on the issue.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=890

Hope this helps

Solution