Looking for a powerful and very portable computer solution. For traveling.

johnatanasoff

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Hi guys,

I am looking for a powerful and very portable computer solution. For traveling.

In the end i will always be using a 24inch monitor whether with a laptop or small pc box. For long hours of work a laptop ain't enough.

I have heard some company is working on portable, foldable, thin, lightweight monitor. This would be ideal to be able to travel without having to ship my monitor to whatever i go.

A powerful thin, lightweight laptop is expensive and cannot be upgraded. Usually lasts 1 year delivering top performance; then declines.

A small PC tower (they are working on a micro tower) might be cheaper and has better performance and may be upgradable, cpu etc...

Do you think a laptop is still the ultimate tool? It certainly is the most convenient out of the box, on the move, work device. And for extra peripherals i'll get a "USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station" which I heard might bring incompatibilities. I need tools that just work.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
And if this site is not the right one for this questions, if you know one better suited for this purpose let me know.

-Pedro

Peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor) aside, there a couple of compact desktops on the market (Intel' NUC, Asus' VivoPC, MSI Cubi etc), about 5"x5"x1". If this is the size you're looking at, keep in mind they are not upgradeable.

Next "size up" are "standard" ITX cases, approx. 12"x12"x4". They would allow for some limited upgradeability (most have just one expansion slots, two DIMMS, and usually no CD/DVD).

So, the questions you have to answer yourselves, are:
- the form factor (physical size), and weight
- performance - what application you are going to run
- price / budget

johnatanasoff

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you for your answer Alabalcho,

- the form factor (physical size), and weight:
15inch, thinnest and lightest possible.

- performance - what application you are going to run:
I do everything from using the whole windows suite, to doing development, music composition using cubase with heavy plugins, video editing with heavy programs etc etc. I don't game! No Mac's!!!

- price / budget:
Does not matter! As long as unit runs fine for 4 years. Then i'l buy another.