MSI Z170A M5 System freezes, red light on mobo. Please help!

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Hey Guys,

Just finished putting my new build together.

Everything runs great for a while but begins to 'semi-freeze' after a while. By 'Semi-freeze' I mean I can still hold down the left mouse button and draw "selection boxes" around the monitors, and apps will respond half-way (will open initially, but then quit responding) So while it's not outright frozen it is barely responding.

Also, I've noticed a little red light which stays on consistently next to the board's chipset cooler.

Really not sure where to begin troubleshooting. Please help! :)

Build is as follows -

MSI Z17A M5 MoBo
EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti (only standard out of the box oc)
Corsair CX 750M PSU
Skylake i7 6700k (stock speeds, no oc)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
Ballistix 16GB Kit (2x8) DDR4 @ 2400

Picture of light in question attached as well.

Thank you in advance!

:Dhttp://s22.postimg.org/tblkrbafl/IMG_4697.jpg

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Quick update.

Took out the 980Ti and the system has been running fine for a solid 10 minutes now (much longer than it has before) without any Issues.

I'm thinking this is either the GPU, the OS (strong sinking feeling) or the combination of the two? What would be the best way to troubleshoot both?

I have W7 on a flashdrive but whenever I attempted to Install it I would get the dreaded (missing cd/dvd drivers..) bla bla bla and was not able to Install w7 on this board. I heard burning the ISO onto a cd/dvd will do the trick vs. USB bootable..

-Edit

Can't find anything about the little red light on the Mobo near the chipset. Looks like it might just be a normal thing. Cannot find anything in regards to error lights on this mobo so, unless I'm wrong, This is either W10 or my GPU.

-Edit 2.

System just bricked outright after a good 20 minutes.. :/

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Another Item of note that I just came to find out. Whenever I turn on Core Temp it immediately causes the machine to begin to freeze up as I had previously mentioned. Any correlation?

Jameshatchin

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hey !

I have aMSI Z170A Gaming M3 and i have the same issue but i have random lockups once a day. Mainly in Word, video playback, EDGE browser. Morrible MSI support, no sufficient help on forums.
You should try to run Intel Diagnostics Software and check if your mobo is overclocking the CPU horribly. Mine wrote that during the test the "expected frequency was 3.5 GHZ on my Intel i5 6600K but it was actually on 4.5678 GHZ ...."