BSOD not allowing windows to load and a mess of other stuff

glma98

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Here's the background: My laptop has been running Windows 10 for about 2 months. A few days ago an update comes up, which, after restarting the laptop, caused all kinds of BSOD's to appear, and constantly recurring issue where it restarts and goes into automatic repair mode, and another BSOD appears and it restarts and goes into automatic repair mode, and so on and so on. It will not go into Windows.

I call MS tech support. They are able to get it to go back into Windows. The moment I get off the phone with them it goes back into the never ending BSOD, restart, auto repair, BSOD loop. Finally it freezes. When it restarts it goes into a CHECK DISK which lasts 14 hours. Then it goes back into a constant BSOD loop.

I chat with MS Tech who says to do a clean install of Windows onto the system. I download a copy of Windows 10 onto a USB Stick following the tech's instructions and try to install it onto my machine. I still get the BSOD loop. I say to heck with it and buy a new HDD, get another copy of Windows 10 per another tech's instructions and try to put it onto the new HDD. I still get the BSOD loop. I read somewhere that someone upgraded their RAM and that did the trick so I bought some new RAM and installed it. I am still getting the same BSOD loop.

Here's the BSOD reasons:
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (for both storahci.sys and storport.sys)
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

Here's what I am thinking of doing but I am not sure if I can.
I want to plug in my new HDD to one of those kits that would basically make it inot an external hard drive. Then, plug that into my wife's laptop. Then, I want to plug into my wife's computer the USB stick which has Windows 10 on it and then load it onto my new HDD using my wife's computer. Is that possible?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Lutfij

Titan
Could you share your laptops make, model and specs? That would help us out in providing further advice. There are a multitude of BSOD's as stated from your list but the real culprits are hidden among that list as a programme might have instigated an error to cause that BSOD. Please follow up this post by creating and locating your dmp files and uploading them on a file hosting site like Microsoft's One Drive and then post a link here for us to examine the offender.

The answer to your question though is yes you could install Windows 10 onto another computer but not on an external HDD as you've suggested to perform.

Have you tried to uninstall Intel's RST drivers or used the latest version of it from here? storahci.sys would be your storage driver being the cause+essentially Intel RST, if its an Intel based platform/laptop.