Moving Hard Drive To New Computer

DriedUrchin

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I have an SSD with a Windows 10 installation on it. This Windows 10 is and upgrade from Windows 8.1 which was an upgrade from Windows 8. I still have the Windows 8 key and installation media. What I'm doing is building a new computer, but my hard drive is still new, so I want to keep it. When I put it in the new system I plan on doing a refresh or clean install, so that everything is nice and clean. But, I don't have a product key for Windows 10. Is my only option to use my Windows 8 CD then upgrade to 10? Is there a way to retain my 10 installation then reset it? This one hurts my brain. What I think would be best is right before I move the hard drive is do the reset, then move it to the new computer, but then I don't know how windows will active since I can't use the 8 key and it can't do a internet activation based on hardware because all the hardware is new.

Solution

well unfortunately i think "tedious" or "costing money" are your only two options for using the drive with a fresh install of windows, either one of these two options happens, or you just keep the install of windows you have now, or overall you don't even use the drive in the new computer, but that would just lead to buying another drive and windows anyway, which defeats the purpose overall.

goodluck

CN Shana

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
you would simply erase the drive, put it into the new system, boot the computer, insert your windows 8 disc, register it again, then update it to 8.1, and then 10 again. or instead of going through all the trouble, just go out and buy windows 10 for 100$? relying on those free upgrades is a bad thing to do on your part, and i remember hearing it wasn't a permanent upgrade to windows 10 anyway, i think you get one year

DriedUrchin

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

That would work but it would be either tedious or cost money.

CN Shana

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

well unfortunately i think "tedious" or "costing money" are your only two options for using the drive with a fresh install of windows, either one of these two options happens, or you just keep the install of windows you have now, or overall you don't even use the drive in the new computer, but that would just lead to buying another drive and windows anyway, which defeats the purpose overall.

goodluck

Solution