question about Sapphire Nitro R9 390 with back plate

henrik12345

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I wanted to ask if my psu would be adequate for powering the gpu mentioned above? Also the card requires 8-8 pin pci-e, but for some reason these cables have vanished from my psu box and I'm left with 8-6 pin pci-e cables, so is it safe to use 6-8 pin adapters or should I buy new 8-8 cables?

PSU - Thermaltake tough power xt 775W
CPU - i7 2600k
Motherboard - gigabyte h67ma-usb3-b3
RAM DDR3 - 2x 2GB corsair + 8GB kingston
1 TB western digital wdc

DrSandwich

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I would probably just by the 8-8 cables, but im not too sure about that. That PSU should be good enough, since it is 80+ Bronze. If you plan on overclocking( it should be fine but someone correct me if I am wrong)or upgrading in the near future, possibly get a new psu. Otherwise, you should be good!

henrik12345

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Regarding to specs, the psu should be good, but on boot I see a pattern of lines with different colors instead of the motherboard "info-picture" (sorry, dont know the correct term). When gaming, I can run Witcher 3 and GTA V(and other games with no issues as well) on max settings, but a weird thing happened with gta - suddenly the game crashed and after restarting it, I had to lower the settings because of lag and when putting them back up, a BSOD appeared. The reccommended psu for the card should have 750W, mine has 775W. The card itself has its engine factory-clocked to 1040 MHz. I also sent the card back to diagnostics and everything should be fine. How dangerous is it to continue using the card? Could someone reccommend me any PSUs if I should replace mine?

DrSandwich

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Hmm, that's weird. The recommended PSU for certain parts are usually very conservative, and your psu isn't too bad. Its 80+ Bronze, which means it only gets 80% performance, but that should be fine. Anything name brand (Corsair, EVGA,etc...) should work. Try getting a 80+ Gold one. That has 90% performance.
Try this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139056&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-BD%20Industries%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=7718204&SID=pchound

Your PSU should be good though, so idk what the problem is. If anyone else has any ideas, please help. The one I linked above is 80+ Gold, modular, but is around $130. It is probably over kill, but if you plan on upgrading soon, I would get this. Did you also check to see if your card's drivers are up to date? That could be the problem.

henrik12345

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
It sure is really weird, as everything should be up to date. I think the problem lies in the (fairly cheap) adapters which make my 8-6 pin cables into 8-6-8 pin cables, so I ordered some new 8-8 pin ones from moddiy and will give them a shot once they've arrived. If the problem persist I guess I'll go with upgrading the psu as well. Thanks for the help and opinions!