Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Metro Redux Bundle!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Halloween is fast approaching! It’s one of those weird nights where bringing back old stuff is cool, so long as you do it right. Old computer case? Not cool. Old computer case painted to look like Frankenstein? Very cool!

Which brings us to this week’s giveaway prize—the Metro Redux Bundle! Celebrate Halloween by shooting down post-apocalyptic mutants that roam your subway tunnels! We've got four (4) bundles to give to some lucky individuals as a Halloween treat. I’ve never played these myself, but I’m told that this is one of those rare instances where a remake/sequel gets done right. Gives you hope for that upcoming game, you know, the one that is also post-apocalyptic, features mutants, and happens to also be a sequel. *hinthint*

For now, let’s talk remakes and sequels! What are some great games that are just dying for a sequel or a remake? What made the original so great and what would make the sequel/remake even better?

I’m holding out for remake of Legend of the Dragoon, which, for those who don’t know it, was an excellent RPG for the original PlayStation. It had a pretty innovative and engaging combat system, all the classic JRPG story elements, and the lovable pixel sprites of the generation (okay, in retrospect, it looked pretty terrible). A remake with modern graphics would be a dream come true. Make it happen, Sony!

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, October 30. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize as a Steam gift; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Winners will be selected randomly from among eligible entries. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group!

We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details.

nimbian

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I think a pretty safe answer would be SW KOTOR. But I'm gonna go for something a little different and say skies of arcadia legends for the GC. It had a very unique turn based fighting system in which your characters and enemies would move around some attacks and target areas whether that be a cone or line. It also had airship vs airship battles which were pretty epic then airship vs monster(Giga) battle which were essentially boss battles.

duckandchicken

Reputable
May 19, 2015
for me Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross need Remake and a new sequel but SE cant make games like that now. Last Remnant is also nice and a sequel with more advance hardcore gameplay is great. And a new The Witcher with female Witcher is wellcome. Silent Hill with god damm Kojima + Guillermo .....as it should be.

There's a million of them. Just grabbing one idea from the millions upon millions of great ideas I have everyday. Ok, here it is.

The Shinobi from the Sega Genesis era. I'd have the dude time travel to a long time ago Japan. Chasing mecha robots n stuff. It'd have a similar feeling to the witcher 3 world, but Japan, so lots of paper. A lot of it would be the struggles of the natural inhabitants dealing with what they are witnessing, trying to make sense of it all, while you slowly build a small army from samurai, ninja, and farmers to defeat the time traveling robotic invaders. I haven't quite figured out why they all went back in time, but does anyone really ever nail that? lol

The core gameplay would be hack and slash with rpg elements and some ninja magic system. That's for the casuals. It'd go deeper with serious combos used for traversing the world quickly, like over chasms etc, to access secret areas for example, as seen in the 3D version of Shinobi that I believe was on playstation 2 (terrible game imho btw).

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
With the rise of Kickstater and Indie devs resurrecting old genres there is not a lot left on my wishlist. The one thing I am still looking for is a good Master of Magic remake. I have tried various 'spiritual successors' and none are able to live up to my expectations.

duttonta

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I would probably go with blades of exile. It had a lot of cleverness, depth, humor and some thinking puzzles. I know spiderweb is still making similar games, but that one was probably the pinnacle of the series. Combining the depth of story and puzzle with immersive modern graphics would be an amazing product. On the other end of the spectrum I would say Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, or similarly Strike Commander. Two games that let you choose your path as a mercenary through a variety of missions with some impact on the game. To update these with modern graphics and make them fully playable without emulators would be fun, especially if they included a level editor to craft your own missions.

Maybe someone will do a kotor total conversion to the witcher 3... omg... no... but imagine a star wars in the hands of cd project red with about 5-6 years to bake something great. A guy can dream.

dbronkalla06

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
My vote for a sequel would be Super Mario 64. I know I have spent countless hours back in the day playing this and still bust out the 64 to replay it.

SuperBox

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I would love a sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. The was a kickstarter for it, but sadly it failed. I still hope it will happen some day, since there isn't anything like it with the whole free 3d movement and persistent ship upgrades.

Also the Battlestations series needs a sequel, there aren't enough navy games.

nimbian

Reputable
May 4, 2015

"Shut up and take my money"

There are tons that deserve a good sequel, but for today I'm putting down my vote for a modern remake/sequel to the Atari ST classic "Stunt Car Racer". It was quite a unique game back in the Atari ST days, and there still is not anything like it as far as I know. So GIVE US STUNT CAR RACER!!!!

Honestly not even an older game, but I would like to see mount and blade warband on a newer, more fluid engine with better physics and textures.
There are games that come after, such as fire and sword, but they are just not the same as warband.

Quiksilver

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
The chrono trigger and chrono cross games should be remade / remastered, chrono trigger is the best RPG, the story is just awesome, and for its time the graphics were great.

agsankaze

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
i am going to choose god of war series, because this is the first game that challange me to beat it, thats becasuse of the story and combat mechanic :D

eliterox

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I'd love to see a remake or next game of the good ol´ Little big adventure 2 : Twinsen's Oddisey . It's definately the best game i've ever played in my life. I still play it from time to time and get the same nostalgia that i get every time i replay it.

It would be AWESOME to see that actual game rendered on any of the current engines like Cryengine3 or UnrealEngine4 .

The game was fun, story was catchy , game music was lovely.

I can only wish... sigh.

jano

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I would pay good money for an updated version of -- Interstate '76 -- as long as it remains true to the original in style, story & gameplay. At the time, it mainly suffered from a bad Mech Warrior engine and a sequel that threw away everything I liked about the original... That 70's vibe... This single game made me keep my older PC with a 3Dfx Voodoo card for years after building a new PC - just so I could still play it using 3Dfx's Glide API!

Nowadays, it would be even better as it's a perfect fit with the upcoming VR rebirth since you are in your car, but constantly looking all around!

Here's hoping...

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I have a couple of games I would like to see a new product of first is Final Fantasy Tactics either a reboot or sequel of the original game not the GBA version. My second choice would be a reboot or sequel to the Descent: Freespace series.

xAlias

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I would love a sequel to the Age of Empires series set in the stone age similar to the original series. :)

Dom_79

Distinguished
Lots of great ideas already! I'd also like to see a Masters of Magic remake as lilcinw suggested. It would be nice to have a more complex and diverse set of interactions with the other "Masters" though. And a LARGER map ;)

Or a MechWarrior2: Mercenaries re-master as duttonta proposed. I honestly think that maybe a few more campaign missions and a few Mech improvement/modification tweeks along with modern graphics would make that a game that would compete with my attention vs. Fallout 4!

What about a StarWars X-Wing / X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter remake? Those games seem prime for a remake (a proper one, not just making the DOS ver. work under modern OSs) to tie-in (see what I did there ;) ) with the new Films.

Or what about a re-master of Resident Evil 2. They've already re-mastered Resident Evil so maybe it's already in the works? Would be a great Halloween release :D

druid_3_2000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm going to have to vote for a redo of of Redneck Rampage. That was the first game experience I ever had where I had to occasionally pause and take a break because I was laughing so hard. Between the random chicken attacks, needing to drink alcohol to regain health points (which then led to the movement controls randomly changing directions on you because you were drunk), and using a severed alien cyborg arm as an energy gun by pulling on the synthetic tendons, that game just cracked me up.

Bring back Leonard and Bubba!

Tukk

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Two I'd certainly love to see: A nice modernization of Railroad Tycoon, and a modern version of Wing Commander (simple single-player story-driven space combat).