Hey guys, I'm building a budget gaming PC. I considered buying these parts:

CPU:AMD FX 6300
MOBO:AsRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz
HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA050
GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 950 Amp! edition
CASE:Zalman Z1
PSU:Corsair VS450 450W

So, do you think i should swap some of the parts? I will not overclock anything, thats why I'm going to use stock cooler and not so expensive motherboard. Maybe you don't know the case because it's pretty old but I think it will do the job (it is cheap but good looking for the price). And one last question..Should I get more powerful PSU?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Karlix,

Most of your components look good! I only have 2 suggestions:

1) The Corsair VS 450 isn't a very reliable unit. If you can, look into getting a XFX TS Series 550W. You don't really need the extra wattage, but if you are in the US right now it is a fantastic tier 2 model that is on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

2) For the same price on Newegg you can replace the Toshiba DT01ACA050 with a 1TB Western Digital Blue drive. The drive has more space and better track record. :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

If you are in a limited market let me know, but if you can get them those are my two best recommendations for your build.

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hi and thanks for your answer

I'm in the EU so i can't buy the PSU on newegg, but my local IT shop has that model and a 450 W one. I think i will not upgrade this system for a long period of time (5 years minimal) so buying this PSU isn't a great deal for me. I can buy XFX TS 450W PSU (it's around $65 here). I'm going with the cheapest parts because it's 2x more expensive here.

And for HDD...I considered using this because I won't have too much data to store at the same time.
Maybe I'll buy one 120 GB SSD to put my Windows, PS and other programs onto.

The XFX is a really good upgrade if you can afford it, but if you can't it won't be the end of the world.

An SSD would be a HUGE improvement. You'll notice a much higher performance in day-to-day activities on your PC.

Both good ideas, other than that you have a good looking build! :)

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
It's out of my price range...Just found SanDisk SDSSDP 128 GB, and Kingston V300 120 GB. I think they are the same (price to performance). Wich one do you recommend?
I forgot to say..I won't buy this components until February/March 2016. So maybe I'll swap out some of the components if they are out of stock.

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
OK, if I get some money I'll buy that SSD.
I'll swap that Toshiba drive with a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB drive (the model is ST1000DM003).
Do you think the FX 8300 will preform much better than FX 6300, because i ran onto it and it's around the same price here.
It's octa core and clocked to 3.3 GHz. L2 and L3 Cache are 16 MB in total.

Hawkshot

Admirable

on most games it wont make any difference what so ever, having that many core at the moment while gaming is just a gimmick you will get better FPS for and i3 processor due to far better single core clock speed. for the same price as a FX-8350 you can get a i5-4460 which will give you a far better gaming experience.

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Just what i thought..I'll stay on FX 6300. How many fps do you guys think I can get on each settings (low, medium, high) with GTX 950 and FX 6300 in GTA 5 on 1920x1080? Because in many reviews people sy it's a GPU for MOBA games..and I don't play those type of games.

Hawkshot

Admirable

low I would suspects around the 80+fps mark, med 60-70 high 40-60, and what you have read is wrong Most MOBA games such as LOL, Dota and HOTS run mainly on single processing power hence why Intel is the best processor for these types of game, but with high GPU demanding games such as GTA V, battlefield 4 and fall out 4(presumably) its going to require good multithreading with 4 cores and also a strong GPU to handle all the textures :) I hope I helped

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Thanks! This isn't very popular brand so I watched reviews from untrusted sources. You guys helped me a lot. Cheers! :)

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Sorry for posting twice, but I found a Fractal Integra 450 W Modular PSU (around the same price as XFX 450W) Is it better than XFX one?
And I'll probably swap AsRock MOBO for MSI 970A-G43. It has one more PCI-E x1 slot (for future upgrades as TV Cards and other)

Hawkshot

Admirable

xfx is a bit better (I think) but that comes to personal opinion, and yeah that's fine as long as you're fine losing the PCI-E slot its ok MSI stuff is well known for being of higher quality.

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

I first thought to buy a 21,5 inch tv that has a DVB-T and a satellite connectors to use it as my monitor and tv, but then I remembered response time and found an Asus VS 229 NA monitor with 5 ms of response time. That's why I'm going with tv card in my build.
And can you help me with SSDs? I know it will improve loading time, but will it load texture faster while in game ( I mean the textures that are far away)?
EDIT: I know that GPU is for textures but will SSD help the GPU to load textures faster

Hawkshot

Admirable

IF you're are talking about games like Wow then yes installing it onto and SSD will increase the speed that it loads various textures I would suggest as most people would to look at the Samsung EVO, either 120GB or the little bit more expensive 250GB for the size/price I would go for the 250GB as its double the memory for about 25% more money which is a good deal.

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

So, in the for example GTA 5 I would wait about 40 sec with HDD and let's say 20-25 sec with SSD on loading screen. And this applies on Windows loading screen too. And in the game it would make no difference? I don't mind waiting 20 sec more. I would rather put that money on better case. Like Cooler Master K280.
Then I have money for an aftermarket CPU cooler, and that makes one question. If the CPU Temp. is higher like 80 Celcius while gaming will that high temp. decrease performance of my CPU? Because I know the FX 6300 heats up really fast and and stays on that temp. for long period of time. Like I said I'm not going to overclock it so I don't know do I really need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Wich one do you recommend(not watercoolers)?

Hawkshot

Admirable

the SSD will also help you in game from moving from 1 location to another, as the textures are downloaded onto your computer it requires both Read speed and your GPU to compile then show these on the screen it shouldn't be a massive jump but it should speed up the time that it takes to load things in and out of the game. as for CPU cooling if you want a cheap but effective one try the 212, or if you want to pay more for a very good air cooler try the Noctua NH-D14

-HH-

Dignified
I'd personally run this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.66 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $462.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 12:11 EDT-0400

Karlix

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Thanks Hawkshot, I found out that CPU temp doesn't affect its performance. So CPU cooler and SSD will be my first two upgrades as I'm going with CM K280.

As I said I can't buy from Newegg or any web stores. The prices in my country are a bit weird. And going with this configuration is cheaper for me as I'm not gonig to upgrade it (except CPU cooler and SSD). Because buying a new CPU two years later isn't cheap for me. I think if I buy FX 6300 I can play games longer period of time without upgrading any of the parts. So will i3 4170 (and GPU) perform better in the future than FX 6300?

Hawkshot

Admirable

quick answer is yes unless games start benefitting from 6 cores rather than far faster single core performance which I really do not see happening any time soon the I3 will give you better performance for years to come.

Hawkshot

Admirable

That's why I said the I3 will be better unless games use all 6 cores, because if games use all 6 cores of the FX-6300 it will perform far better than the I3 but as pretty much all games rely on the single core processing power the i3 is a better choice and will be until games use 6+ cores (which will not be anytime soon)