How can i access my external hard drive at home from school?

Vyom__

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
I am College student and i live 5 hours away from school.

my laptop is running out of memory so i got a 2tb Seagate backup plus portable hard drive. i also have files on my home desktop i want to access from school. if there a way i can connect my hard drive when i get home to my router and still be able to access it from my laptop at school
i ask this because i have files that are on my laptop i need to access at home and files at home i need to access from school.

i ask if i can do this because carrying around the hard drive is a hassle and having to take it from home to school connecting it to different computers and if i could connect it to my home router and access it from school it would free up a lot of space on my laptop and and i could easily access my files from my desktop at home with out having to transfer everything over.

p.s. i have the 2015 macbook pro

thanks you,
blue

cdheer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Some routers allow this; it would depend on the make/model of the one you have.

But it might be simpler to use something like GotoMyPC. Remote into your PC from your Macbook and just do file transfers.

How many files are we talking about here?

If it isn't that many it would be much simpler to use a service like Dropbox as cloud storage that is accessible between both PC's. You would need to set up a fileserver if you wanted to access your hard drive from home.

Vyom__

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

about 10+gb im trying to access photos videos and music as well

cdheer

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

What's your Internet upload bandwidth at home? 10+GB might be ugly no matter how you do it.

AgPaul

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
google drive, you get 15 gigs free of storage free and unlimited photos as long you save them at a lower (but still good) resolution