Desktop Unusable after Windows 10 Update

its_AmooreA

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
I updated my OS to windows 10 (from windows 7) about 2 months ago. I hadn't had any issues until last night when I performed a prompted restart for a windows update. The computer restarted and was booting back up, all appeared normal. I left the room and came back a few minutes later to check on the progress, and the computer was still booting up.

Eventually it loaded all the way to the desktop, and after a long while the application icons became visible on the desktop. Application icons never became available on the task bar, and when I hovered my mouse cursor over any area of the task bar it showed the "loading circle" (as opposed to a normal mouse pointer). I can't open any applications, and will get a message along the lines of 'Application is not responding. Do you want to wait for the application?'. I've tried a simple restart, but get back to the exact same place.

Has anyone had any similar problems or could offer a solution?

FYI, I'm probably a lot less computer savvy than most people here, so please try to dumb stuff down for me if possible :)

Solution

Hello again its_AmooreA

Yes there is a difference between the two, or rather three options. Why three? I'll explain in a minute...

its_AmooreA

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015

Thanks so much for your help!

Is there an advantage to uninstalling the most recent update from safe mode versus using the system restore function? I think it would be easier for me to use the system restore from a dvd with windows 10 on it. I'm don't know how to uninstall the most recent update.

Hello again its_AmooreA

Yes there is a difference between the two, or rather three options. Why three? I'll explain in a minute.

Uninstalling the Latest Updates

When you uninstall the latest update, no Windows settings are changed. As you mentioned that the desktop screen became unusable when your Windows 10 restarted after installing the updates, I guess the most recent updates are not compatible with your computer or any hardware device in particular.

Since it would be hectic to identify which recently installed update caused problem to which hardware, the best option would be to uninstall the update right away.

Restoring to an Earlier Restore Point (The One I Mentioned as the Second Option)

Before making any remarkable changes, Windows automatically saves an image of the working state of the operating system. Windows marks such image with a timestamp to help users identify it, and revert the operating system back to it if something goes wrong. (As it is in your case.)

Since the recently installed updates are causing problem to your computer, restoring Windows 10 to the time when the updates were not there would make the operating system function normally. You can think this solution as you are traveling back in time, and now you have a second chance to re-do the things differently. ;)

Recovering the Operating System from the DVD (The One You Find Easiest)

When you do this, all the settings, installed apps, your personal documents, etc. are erased from your computer and your computer becomes as new as it was when bought it.

However, if you wish, you can Reset Windows 10 while Keeping All Your Files.

In case you want to know how to uninstall an update:

> Log on to Windows 10 with administrator account.

> Right-click the Start button.

> Click Control Panel from the context menu.

> Click Uninstall a program from under the Programs category (ensure that View by from the top-right corner of the window is set to Category).

> From the left pane of the opened window, click View installed updates.

> From the right pane of the next window, check the Installed on column of the list of installed updates and locate the ones that were installed yesterday.

> Click to select the recently installed update, and click Uninstall from the top to remove. (Repeat this process for all the updates installed yesterday.)

Hope this helps. :)

Solution