Lost input to monitor, possible GPU/motherboard failure?

AstroBadger

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Hey,

Recently while using my PC my display turned black with thin stripes. I could still hear the applications that I had open so I assume that it is a graphical problem only.

Now when I turn it on my monitor recieves no input at all from my PC. I have checked the monitor and it works and used different cables to the same result.

I have used the graphical out on my motherboard but this seems not to work either.

The computer is 4 years old but I dust regularly etc.

Just wondering how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
try the card in another computer and see ?? if it does the same then look at the card - could of just bought the farm ? I bet it had a 3 year warrantee as well.. how does the monitor work with another computer ?

when you tried the onboard did you remove the card first?

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Well, one thing you can try, assuming your CPU has integrated graphics. Remove your video card and then try the onboard graphics. If that doesn't work, reset the motherboard BIOS (you can either use the jumper for this if you know which one and/or have you manual still, or you can remove the CMOS battery (large flat silver watch battery on the board), for a couple of minutes and then reinstall it). This should make certain your CPU's integrated graphics are being used, often motherboards/BIOS will automatically disable onboard graphics if they detect a video card.

try the card in another computer and see ?? if it does the same then look at the card - could of just bought the farm ? I bet it had a 3 year warrantee as well.. how does the monitor work with another computer ?

when you tried the onboard did you remove the card first?

Solution

AstroBadger

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Thanks, this helped a lot, basically I know that my graphics card its the problem, the warranty did just run out too so a bit unlucky, haha. Before when I checked the integrated graphics I left the card in.