Re-installing OS for a new motherboard?

crimsxn

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
Hello, so I've been planning on swapping out my motherboard for a new one. I've looked around and it has come to my attention that i would need to reinstall my Operating System. But it wasn't mine and i no longer have contact with the friend that let me use it. my question is, do I need the Disk that i used to install it? or any sort of key? and if so, are there any alternatives to get it cheaper? (my os is windows 10 and i used to have windows 7 before i upgraded)

Solution

For a hardware change like that, a full reinstall is highly recommended, usually required.
With whole different hardware (new motherboard), currently, you may need to reinstall the original Win 7, and then Upgrade to Win 10 again. You will need the license key for...

USAFRet

Titan

For a hardware change like that, a full reinstall is highly recommended, usually required.
With whole different hardware (new motherboard), currently, you may need to reinstall the original Win 7, and then Upgrade to Win 10 again. You will need the license key for this. Which you don't have.

In the near future, you may be able to install Win 10, and then activate that with your Win 7 license key. Which you don't have.

Solution