Network Error Windows Cannot Access (network share)

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hello

Almost everything time I try to access my htpc that has shares I get this error. I just keep clicking the folder and it will finally let me in. The PC is up and running so not sure why this does this almost everything I try to access the share.

My PC is windows 10 pro the HTPC is win7 ultimate.

Thank you,

Afskot3.png

Solution
run > sysdm.cpl
there you can find the workgroup / domain options (it will be on the computer name tab)

to turn off ipv6 run > ncpa.cpl (network and sharing center > change adapter settings) > right click on local area connection > properties > uncheck ipv6 > click okay > reboot
Are both your PC and HTPC in the same domain/workgroup?

Is one of them on a wireless connection?

Have you allowed global (guest) sharing access? Or is it restricted to just certain users? If the latter, does the username and password on both the PC and HTPC match? Look in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Credential Manager. For some reason, sometimes credentials don't "stick" in there like they're supposed to when you just access a network share directly and check the "remember" box.

Has either system been rebooted recently? Unless there's a domain controller, Windows network names (Jonathan-htpc in your pic) are shared via a dynamically elected controller. Rebooting can cause the network to lose its elected controller, and it can take a while for the computers on your network to pick a new controller. Try using the IP address instead of the network name. e.g. \\192.168.1.102\htpc

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hello Thank you for your reply. I dont know how to check if they are on the same workgroup or domain. I just used sharing right the right click folder menu they are both connected via ethernet to the router. It never prompts for a password as they are both the password and username are the same. One thing I did noticed when trying to use the IP was that the computer is using IPv6, could that be the issue? I never seen windows using ipv6 ips before windows 10. Can I switch it back to ipv5? maybe that is the issue with the older windows 7 htpc

AgPaul

Honorable
Jan 23, 2015
run > sysdm.cpl
there you can find the workgroup / domain options (it will be on the computer name tab)

to turn off ipv6 run > ncpa.cpl (network and sharing center > change adapter settings) > right click on local area connection > properties > uncheck ipv6 > click okay > reboot

Solution