ATI Radeon 7870 - Triple Monitors Go Black

MOspartan

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Hi, folks! I'm in need of help. I have three 24" Asus VE246H LCDs. Two of them are connected to my XFX Radeon 7870 2GB 512-bit video card via DVI, and the third via mini-display to DVI.

My rig specs are as follows:

- ASUS ROG Crossfire V ATX motherboard
- XFX Radeon 7870 2GB 512-bit PCI Express 2.0 GPU
- AMD FX9590 Vishera six-core 4.5 GHz CPU
- Antec H20 920 liquid cooler
- 32 GB DDR3 RAM
- Ultra 1000-watt full-modular PSU
- NZXT Phantom full-tower case
- OCZ Revo Drive PCI Express SSD
- LG DVD-RW Burner (SATA)
- 2x SATA SSDs
- 1x WD 500GB 5200 RPM HDD
- Windows 10 x64 Professional

Recently, I've had problems where all three of my monitors go black, come back on, go black, come back on, in increasing intervals until eventually.........I can't even use my PC. :??:

I've tried bringing my GPU clock down to 900MHz as it came "factory overclocked". That didn't help. This problem happens whether I have my monitors in Eyfinity configuration, or in standard independent configuration. Doesn't matter.

Could it be a PSU issue? I would think 1000 watts would be plenty for this setup. OR could my GPU be going south? :(

Thoughts?

Solution
Without being able to view the XFX specification/manual for that card, there isn't much I can say. As for the power supply, a 1000watt turd is still a turd. I'd recommend seeing if you could borrow a quality PSU from a friend and test you set up with that PSU installed. Recommendation is for a 500watt power supply. I'd be looking at something with at least 550watts from Antec, Seasonic, XFX, PC Power and Cooling, EVGA or FSP.

-Wolf sends

MOspartan

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Ok as soon as I unplug the monitor that's on the mini-display port............the two on DVI start working normally. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS THING???? :(

See the attached YouTube video to see visually what I'm talking about.[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKjnvHUnEc"][/video]

Wolfshadw

Titan
Without being able to view the XFX specification/manual for that card, there isn't much I can say. As for the power supply, a 1000watt turd is still a turd. I'd recommend seeing if you could borrow a quality PSU from a friend and test you set up with that PSU installed. Recommendation is for a 500watt power supply. I'd be looking at something with at least 550watts from Antec, Seasonic, XFX, PC Power and Cooling, EVGA or FSP.

-Wolf sends

Solution

MOspartan

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

Thanks, Wolf! I'll give it a go!

MOspartan

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I picked up the Accell MiniDisplay-to-DVI adapter, which was on ATI's certified adapters list (duh, should've looked at that first), and what do you know???..........it works perfectly!

Thanks for your help, Wolf!