couple more questions about SSD (new to SSD)

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi
Once again, I am on i5 and with 8GB RAM however I don't turn normally power off my PC and I like leaving lots of Chrome tabs and applications open (but none of the applications are resources-demanding) No photoshop, no gaming at all but I VERY OFTEN feel lagged. VERY lagged.

I wish to give myself a first try to SSD after lots of positive advice about that.
I am not a hardware enthusiast and The only thing I know about SSD is - It's faster and does not spin.

As a newbie, I come down to a couple of conceptual questions

1. Does SSD also has 2.5 or 3.5 inch?

2. Since SSD does not spin, can I just connect it to the cables inside my chassis and leave it on top of something without putting it into a try and mounting it with screws?? I have lost the tray and screws provided with my chassis....

3. It looks like there are a number of ports for SSD. Something like SATA II or SATA III or PCI....I am so confused! which one should I pick?

4. Which brand makes the most worth-buying SSD? Making a good SSD while the price is not very high.

5. I don't play games or any photoshops. Is 128GB already enough for windows ??

6. Anything else I should pay attention to when buying and installing a SSD?

Thank you!

IRyannHD

Distinguished
SSD is 2.5 only...I think.

Yes but I recommend using some velcro for safe measure.

m.2/pci is faster but more expensive, a SATA will be fine for you.

Samsung, Kingston, OCZ, Sandisk and probably more I can't think of.

It's enough for windows, with a fair amount to spare, If you want a little more, 250Gb is kind of a sweet spot.

Not really, but I don't personally think an SSD will fix your problem, open programs rely on RAM, these programs could be slow due to high usage (but you said no) and slow RAM speeds.

This could also be down to the CPU, depending on the current CPU.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

my cpu is intel i5-2400