Discussion: Microsoft to begin automatic Windows 10 upgrades on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices

Now it appears that it is becoming impossible to keep Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on our PCs, no matter what we do. Beginning now, Microsoft will upload the Windows 10 upgrade as an optional update and starting early 2016, it will become a recommended update. The only way to stop the update is to hide the update and turn off automatic updates, but it's only a matter of time before the Windows 10 upgrade becomes mandatory. Those with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 need to prepare to download Windows 10 drivers.

Source: http://www.delhidailynews.com/news/Microsoft-confirms-automatic-upgrade-of-Windows-7--8-devices-to-Windows-10-1446274295/

In my situation, I will need to upgrade my tablet to Windows 10 whether the device likes it or not. On my dual-boot PC, I will eventually transfer Windows 8.1 from it to a new HTPC build, upgrade it to Windows 10 on that PC, and dual-boot Windows 10 with Linux on the primary PC. What are everyone's plans? Share your thoughts below.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Doesn't seem like such a bad thing. After a few months with W10, I've run into very few problems. Coming from W7, it took some adjusting but I've come to enjoy most of the new features. Admittedly, the privacy stuff is still a concern, especially after the recent revelations that there is no way to prevent it from collecting some form of data, but it's something I can live with. I already use Google services regularly, so it's not like I've been avoiding data collection very well.

I do wish manufacturers would hurry it up with the W10 drivers though. It's taking some of them a very long time to release drivers and I'd bet that it's putting a lot of people in a situation where they can't or don't want to upgrade.

dynaryder

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
This is an interesting topic indeed! I have been reading some about this. At the moment it may also be causing me co-incidental problems. Let me explain.

I have done a pretty large upgrade to an "old" computer that was built at the very end of the XP era. My intent was to get it to run Windows 7. I installed 2gb of RAM, a NEW nvidia AGP geforce 6200 video card, a 1 tb HDD and tweaked everything in Windows XP. I seemed to have some minor problems with settings on the video which I finally figured out.

Then the fun began. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on the new HDD (which I had to partition in order to get XP to recognize it). The install itself went well. I am again having problems with the system "freezing" - which seems to be coincidental with moving things onscreen with the mouse/cursor. But that is not what my post is about.

What I have noticed is that there is seemingly never ending updates in occurrence when I try to run the computer in W-7. It is using very high CPU capacity (like 100%) and memory. It is all related to windows update services.

I can't seem to find what exactly is being updated due to the freezing issue though. So, since I do not have to use the rebuilt computer for anything necessary or important as there are also two laptops in the house, I figured that I would set the machine up to keep running unattended and continue to download whatever it is that MS wants me to have - and if/when it ever finishes, I will look at the update folder and see what they gave me. I suspect that it is all the W-10 stuff in addition to regular W-7 updates of which there could be several years worth.

The last comment bring to mind something about which I am curious. This is late 2015. W-7 has been around for more than 5 years. The install disk has SP1 slipstreamed into it but I do not really know if the default settings would also install the SP1 part of it. Now the question:

As of now, on a new installation, would there be dozens, perhaps hundreds or even more than 1000 updates that I would/should expect to be getting and which could take several hours or several days to get?

....and then to further "gum up the works", W-10 upgrade files....

If any of you have any insight on this, I would love to hear it!

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3000124/microsoft-windows/windows-10-growth-itbwcw.html

[not only tailing off but how many went to 10 and said no thanks and went back to there older OS's ??]

if that's all true think about how they can come in and do as they want when they want weather you like it or not ? if that's not a major concern I don't know what is if they don't like what you are running or doing they just change it over your preferences ??

then I did not spend my money to use 7 cause I wanted to use 10 did I ?? will I be reimbursed ??

just goes to show your private personal computer is now public ..

I believe it all comes down to data collection/backdoors [insure your not a enemy of the state ] , and advertising built in to the os .. [on top of your cost of the os how much does Microsoft collect from that alone ? ]

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-disable-windows-10-start-menu-ads/

way I look at it anymore once I got to leave 7 its Linux all windows got going fro it is ease of gaming , and that's about it anymore

[opinion]